Sta-Rite Series 3 S8M150 - 459 Sq Ft - Cartridge Replacement Options?

Nsm

Jul 20, 2015
boston, ma
Morning!
So as the title states, I need to replace my Cartridges for my Sta-Rite Series 3 S8M150. When I went to purchase online, I noticed that there are very few available and upon further investigation, I confirmed with Pentair that these cartridge filters have been discontinued, so whatever is left in circulation is the balance of what is available. Obviously, given the inflation laden environment that we live in today, the price for the cartridges that are available have increased dramatically. In 2017, when I last purchased new cartridges, I paid $405.98 for both the large outer and small inner cartridges. This cost has ballooned to over $730.00 from two separate retailers who have some remaining in stock.

In general, I have a few questions. I found a retrofit kit from a company called Excel Pool and Spa Filters that claims to convert my two cartridges to four while maintaining the same or more square foot coverage. Here is a link to their site, which unfortunately doesn't have any current info on the retrofit kit and says they are out of stock for the season. Excel Filters Retrofit Filters and here is a youtube video I found: S8M150 Retrofit Video . Does anyone have any experience with this retrofit kit or excel filters?

My other question is if anyone is aware of any other cartridge filter options for the series 3 S8M150 or if anyone has any different recommendations all together?

Appreciate the help/feedback!

Over the years, I spoke with most of the after-market cartridge suppliers about System 3 replacements. To a man they all said that the cartridges are too expensive to make and couldn't be produced at a cost to make them a viable option to OEM. Over the years there have been some manufacturers who tried various substitutes, but none lasted very long. Occasionally you will see an an "off brand" set come up for those filters, but the reviews are, generally, very poor.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.