dielseman

Jul 1, 2017
GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there, having an issue with my Sta-Rite 400 igniting. This seems to happen when temps drop a lot. When I turn on the heater, it does not trigger that thumping sound to ignite the heater. The Fenwall indicator blinks 3 times. Then it repeats 3 times again.

Here what I attempted to do to fix this:
  • I turned all the heat setting down to lowest setting.
  • Then turned off al electrical and the gas for for 5 mins.
  • Turned the electrical on and gas.
  • Turn heating settings back to normal.
  • Turned on heater.
What else can I do to try to fix this?

Thanks,

Check your gas supply and gas pressure at the gas valve using a manometer.

Check the igniter.

If the blower starts, the attempt to light the flame starts, you smell gas, here the click, then it sounds like something closes. Repeats a couple times and throws the 3 blinks of the led on Fenwal box then you may have a bad igniter.

With a bad igniter you do not hear the woosh of the flame lighting and feel a burst of hot exhaust before it shuts down.

You can do some diagnostics on it and see if it is heating, examine it visually, check the resistance of it which should be 50 ohms, and check there is 120V AC going to the igniter when the heater starts.

A new igniter resistance is 50 ohms.

I do not hear that clicking sound or that thumping noise when turning on the heater. There is a little bit of heat coming from the exhaust panel on the side of the heater. However, the heater used to make a loud thumping noise when it was turned on. Plus, you could also smell and fell the gas above the exhaust fans when the blower was working. I've turned off the gas line a few times and no luck. Seems like it might need a new ignitor. Is this easy to replace?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.