Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Install was 11/2017 - I got my hours
Hayward Swimpure Extreme T-15 940 cell; serial 4E17180-201316
Salt level = 3700 P-A-P; my strips indicate 4100 but they are a few years out of date.
Voltage off = 31.4
First cycle - V 25.5 A 6.39 inst -3100
Second cycle - 26.2 A 5.02 inst -1700

From what I've read, one side is bad. I took the cell to PAP and was told it was fine. I am not making much chlorine and I treated for phosphates (2500ppm). 5 back washes later, still not making much chlorine. Back to PAP, and oh, they only tested one side. After more reading, I got my hours, get over it.

For the last 5 years I've run no more than 40%, occasionally a little bump when the water was hot, lots of swimmers and plenty of sun and rain. Pump runs 8 hours a day. I'm running at 80% now...

The question: If I up to 100% and cycle the power to be on the good side, will I make chlorine? Or will the chlorinator switch to the other side anyway after a time. I understand when the pump cycles the next morning, I will have to cycle the SWG to get to the good side. Also, I could save the cell for winter, when I barely run at 20%. Switch it out and get more time on it.

Something else I read on an aftermarket brand website is if the salt level is too high it will cause too much amperage and burn the board out. Don't want to do that, so I need to get the salt level down. That's my reason to try and get a few more weeks out of this cell, rain is coming and should dilute the salt level. My make up water is iron rich and I'm trying to avoid diluting that way. Five backwashes already has me seeing red.

$1k for a new hayward cell is making me seriously think about the aftermarket for $499.

Why so much salt you ask. I paid attention to the display. One morning both low salt and check cell were flashing. This was after nearly 6 inches of rain over a few days. I checked the cell, no mineral build up, cleaned anyway. So I added more salt. I am living the error of my ways.

My readings CYA 70 FC 3.5 TA 80 PH 7.5 CH 425 temp 86 csi -0.19 and I'm supplementing with liquid chlorine almost daily.
PAP reads CYA 100 FC 3.0 TA 70 PH 7.6 CH 330 and phosphates are down to 500

You need to get the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test to accurately manage your salt levels.

As you discovered you cannot rely on the salt levels shown on a SWG panel. And salt test strips are not very accurate as they age.

Cycle time for switching polarities is 180 minutes. So if you get the cell generating on the good polarity it will automatically switch to the other side in 3 hours.

Yes, high salt causes the board to have high amps which can burn out components and solder joints.

I doubt you will get enough rain to significantly lower your salt level unless you get hit with a hurricane.

A lot of information is in Hayward Aquarite SWG - Further Reading

Last edited:
Reactions: RPSalty
Thanks, I'll be getting a new cell sooner than later. I am hoping the tropical storm will drop enough rain to bring the salt level down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.