Springtails in pool and skimmer—treatment?

jorowan

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
Pottstown/PA
I just discovered a bunch of circles of what I think are springtails floating in my pool—out of the blue they appeared! YUCK!!!. What do I do? Will a SLAM take care of it or is it overkill?

Attachments

• F8CFBC06-0FB0-4FEB-9809-1889FCB5AE01.jpeg
    F8CFBC06-0FB0-4FEB-9809-1889FCB5AE01.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 66
They typically don't like chlorinated water because the chlorine gets rid of their food source. Is your water crystal clear? (looks like it) and how much FC and CYA is in your pool?
CYA is a bit low at 30, FCwas at 3 when I added 1.5 gallons of pool store strength chlorine (12.5%?) last night. Water is clear and CC was at less than 0 .5 but we have had issues with leaves and seed pods and pollen blowing in all season.

I also have a lot of springtails this year. I believe it is from all of the rain we've been having - seems like we have a storm almost every day - my lawn is still squishy wet, and it's almost the 4th of July. My water is crystal clear, CYA is 30-40-ish, FC is 4.5. They use surface tension to float on the pool water so I don't know that the chlorine is going to get them. It hasn't so far.

Some people suggest spraying the edges of the pool with soapy water, but others say soap + pool don't mix. I would guess it has to do with concentrations. I'm just hoping it stops raining for a few days and maybe the problem will take care of itself.

I also have a lot of springtails this year. I believe it is from all of the rain we've been having - seems like we have a storm almost every day - my lawn is still squishy wet, and it's almost the 4th of July. My water is crystal clear, CYA is 30-40-ish, FC is 4.5. They use surface tension to float on the pool water so I don't know that the chlorine is going to get them. It hasn't so far.

Some people suggest spraying the edges of the pool with soapy water, but others say soap + pool don't mix. I would guess it has to do with concentrations. I'm just hoping it stops raining for a few days and maybe the problem will take care of itself.
Well it seems to have only been a short-lived problem. I have not seen them since that initial shock and disgust! Good luck with your pool. Here rain continues but heat is wicked!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.