Springtails in pool and skimmer—treatment?

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
They typically don't like chlorinated water because the chlorine gets rid of their food source. Is your water crystal clear? (looks like it) and how much FC and CYA is in your pool?

jorowan

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
Pottstown/PA
They typically don't like chlorinated water because the chlorine gets rid of their food source. Is your water crystal clear? (looks like it) and how much FC and CYA is in your pool?
CYA is a bit low at 30, FCwas at 3 when I added 1.5 gallons of pool store strength chlorine (12.5%?) last night. Water is clear and CC was at less than 0 .5 but we have had issues with leaves and seed pods and pollen blowing in all season.

SDor

Jun 14, 2018
Chicagoland
I also have a lot of springtails this year. I believe it is from all of the rain we've been having - seems like we have a storm almost every day - my lawn is still squishy wet, and it's almost the 4th of July. My water is crystal clear, CYA is 30-40-ish, FC is 4.5. They use surface tension to float on the pool water so I don't know that the chlorine is going to get them. It hasn't so far.

Some people suggest spraying the edges of the pool with soapy water, but others say soap + pool don't mix. I would guess it has to do with concentrations. I'm just hoping it stops raining for a few days and maybe the problem will take care of itself.

jorowan

Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
Pottstown/PA
I also have a lot of springtails this year. I believe it is from all of the rain we've been having - seems like we have a storm almost every day - my lawn is still squishy wet, and it's almost the 4th of July. My water is crystal clear, CYA is 30-40-ish, FC is 4.5. They use surface tension to float on the pool water so I don't know that the chlorine is going to get them. It hasn't so far.

Some people suggest spraying the edges of the pool with soapy water, but others say soap + pool don't mix. I would guess it has to do with concentrations. I'm just hoping it stops raining for a few days and maybe the problem will take care of itself.
Well it seems to have only been a short-lived problem. I have not seen them since that initial shock and disgust! Good luck with your pool. Here rain continues but heat is wicked!