Spring Loaded Weir Door

mmcwhorter

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2015
Huntingtown, MD
I lost one of the two tabs on one of my two Pentair Admiral S-20 skimmers a year ago. Went without a Weir for last year, and tried a Venturi Turbo skimmer basket, w/o Weir. It seems to work ok while the pump runs, but of course, some of the leaves that stay on the surface of the skimmer will flow back into the pool after the pump shuts off.

So, I decided last night to buy this spring-loaded Weir door:

I found it at another web store for about 1/3 the price so I bought two. I measured an old broken Weir Door, and it was 5x8 exactly, so I bought a 5x8 to replace.

I hope this will work well.

Only one of the two tabs on the S-20 Skimmer is busted off...I am not quite sure how to install the new Weir door just yet. Should I install it from inside the pool through the wide opening or kneeling on the deck with the skimmer cover removed. Should I install it inside the existing tab, or outside of the existing tab (poolside)...? It looks like you put it in place and pull the string to let the spring(s) out. How much force doe the springs apply? Is it adjustable after installation? Inquiring minds want to know. Looking for a You Tube install vid.

My original weir door broke a few years ago, and never thought much of it until I read a few posts here. I bought a spring-loaded replacement late last year, and it was easy to install. However, the first time the kids jumped in & splashed around, it knocked the door loose and the spring & hinge assembly came apart. The manufacturer said they've never heard of that, and I'm sure that I installed it correctly. They actually sent me a replacement, very nice of them. Haven't installed it yet, thinking it through a bit to see if there is something else I can do to make it more secure. Any thoughts as to if this was a rare occurrence, or are the spring hinges prone to being knocked out with normal pool use?

I have two spring loaded weir doors at rent houses.. Both skimmers are slightly different, so they may be universal doors, but there is no universal way to install them.. :mrgreen:

As long as they ride, or float, up and down with the water they will work. The springs hold them in place pretty well.. One of them has never moved, and the other has moved a few times in the past 5 years, but is pretty easy to move back. It has never come apart, it just slides a little, and then interferes getting the skimmer basket out.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim...Mine just arrived last night. I will install it soon. Lots of rain and clouds lately...so the water is still pretty chilly here in S. MD. The weekend thankfully is supposed to warm up and dry up. By the way, I have only one tab broken off of the S-20 skimmer I am trying to fix. I wonder if I have to remove the second one to install the skimmer. And...I have not been able to find on the web the Pentair model for S-20. I bought a universal model. 8 inches wide.

Mark,

With luck, the tab won't be in the way of the new door.. If it is, then you will have to remove it. I would suspect that might require you to lower the water level, and use a Dremel tool of some kind.

Or.. it might be possible to take the spring out of one side of the replacement door and use the tab that is there.. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hello LivelyOasis....any chance you have a link to the Pentair S-20 Spring Loaded Weir Doors. I have not been able to find it. Thanks...

Hi there, The site I ordered from shows -out of stock - backordered-, here is the same thing with "Blue Devil" branding. Blue Devil 8" Gate Skimmer Weir # B8508

You put into position, pull the pins, and the springs pop out the sides to hold it into place. Super sturdy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.