Spillover Settings

BoilerSim

Gold Supporter
Apr 22, 2019
Winter Garden, FL
Have a question for everyone on the best way to set up the spillover function on the spa. Our builder insists that we must have the spa circulating any time the pool is running, so they would not install the automatic valve any way other than with the "off" setting of the spillover actually returning 1/2 of the flow to the spa return and the other 1/2 to the pool. The result is that there is always a small amount of water spilling over.

It seems to me that this is unnecessary. Wouldn't it be ok to just schedule the spillover to run maybe twice a day for 30 minutes to ensure the water circulates and chemicals are distributed properly? Seems like this would keep my pH lower than a constant spillover, even if it is just a small amount. If so, how difficult is it to modify the automatic valve setup to do what I want it to do? It is a Pentair.

It is not all that difficult.

You can adjust the valve actuator. What kind do you have?
Then set up the Spillover function using Screenlogic.

bs,

Once again it is proven that a lot of pool builders have no clue about how an automation system works.. ?

Your idea to run the spillover twice a day for 30 minutes, or so, is exactly what we recommend. It sounds like the pool builder maladjusted your return valve to force water to go to your Spa even when in the Pool mode. To fix that issue, you will need to readjust the mechanical stops inside the valve actuator.. Here is a video...

I am surprised that the spillway function is in set up on your EasyTouch.. :scratch:

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thank you! I think they know how it works, their tech just insists that even though you can set it up the way I was thinking and that you recommend, you shouldn't. He insisted that you always want water going to the spa.

They're here today working on some things (on to our third air blower in a month) and I'll see if I can adjust the actuator after they leave.

I was able to do it this afternoon. Pretty easy! Just took some trial and error.

Quick follow up... is it recommended to program spa mode to run each day for a few minutes as well? Would think that the water recirculates pretty well on spillover mode, but curious if you all run spa mode for a few minutes as well.

Thanks!

bs,

Keep in mind that the ET can only have 12 total schedules and that includes any egg-timers not at the default of 12 hours... Screenlogic will not tell you that you have used too many and will let you enter half a billion... they just will not work... :mrgreen:

If you never use your spa it would not hurt to run it once or twice a week, for few minutes, just to keep the pipes chlorinated..

The key to all of this is to test the spa and the pool and make sure they are close to the same FC.. If the spa's FC starts to drop near the minimum level for your CYA, then you will need to increase the spillway times..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: BoilerSim
Thanks! One last question for now... Right now the spillover and my higher speed program for skimming are set up on feature circuits. When they come on, the Intellichlor shuts off. Is there a way to make it so it will stay on during those programs? Still trying to find the right balance of time/ic40 settings to keep my FC where I want it and it'd be nice to have it operating during those programs.

That is Pool Company old think before automation. You can have your automation switch to spillover a few times a day and keep your spa water fresh.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As long as your POOL circuit is scheduled to run during any Feature Circuit schedule the SWCG will be active. So set a base schedule for POOL over the time of all the other Feature Circuits. The highest RPM scheduled will be what the pump runs at.

Reactions: BoilerSim
bs,

For the SWCG to run you have to be in either the Pool mode or Spa mode...

Here is an example of what you need to do...

Schedule Pool from 7 am until 7 pm at 1200 RPM (or whatever it takes to close the SWCG's flow switch plus 100 RPM)
Schedule spillway from 8 am until 8:30 am (Assign a pump speed that makes your spillover have a lot of flow.. I suggest 2800 RPM)
Schedule spillway from 6 pm until 6:30 pm (Same pump speed).

So the pump runs at 1200 RPM and the SWCG work from 7 am until 8 am when the pump increase speed to 2800 and the spillway comes on. The SWCG is still working.
At 8:30 am the pump decreases speed back to 1200 RPM, but the SWCG is still working.
At 6 pm the speed increases again until 6:30 when it goes back to 1200, the SWCG is still working.
at 7 pm the pump and SWCG shut off..

You just need to set the times and speeds that you want to run.. Each of my speeds above my base speed of 1200 is controlled by a feature circuit.. Keep in mind that you can go up in speed by turning on another feature circuit, but you can't go down in speed.. The ET will run the highest speed it is being told to run.. So, if you are at 2800 and tell it to go to 1200 it will not, unless you turn off the 2800 command..

I personally run my SWCG 24/7, as I like to generate a little chlorine all the time and I like that I am skimming all the time.. Not at all necessary, just something that I personally like to do.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Pprior
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.