Spiking FC

Oops! My bad! For some reason the water volume in the Pool Math calculator was 10,000 gallons. I thought something was wrong. The volume might have reverted to default when I migrated the data from my old computer to the new one. Thanks for the correction!

Just a reminder though, 80ppm-120ppm TA has been the recommended level classically, but people here have found that pH is much more stable for our pools around 60ppm-80ppm TA. So I don't know exactly your experience or history with your spa, but I just hope your not shooting for 100ppm TA just to be in some old recommended range.

The important thing to remember is that the RIGHT total alkalinity is where pH is relatively stable. If pH tends to rise over time in your spa then TA is too high. If pH tends to decrease over time then TA is too low.

I would not target that high of TA. Use PoolMath and get it to no more than 60. Then see how the pH reacts.

Not sure what reaction compounds come from Sodium thiosulfate. I would be skeptical of the 'sulfate' as they are bad news for metals (aka SWCG) and plaster.

I would not use any more of that.

Take care.

You do have to use quite a bit of it. But your volume is small and you really should never need it. If you search the forum there is a calculation available based on % strength of the hydrogen peroxide.

Your pool is safe to swim in with FC up to shock level based on your CYA. You have not shared with us what your CYA is.

See Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

So if you look at the FC/CYA chart linked above, your shock level FC is 16. So no need to reduce FC unless above that.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.