Spike in Salt Levels

2rontoe

Jun 5, 2021
Salt Lake City
Hello -
Does adding borax to a pool increase measured "salt" levels (since sodium borate is the active ingredient)? Have been adding borax to a salt water pool to increase Ph level where alkalinity is already on the high side.
Went to have water tested and salt level has jumped 3500 to 5000 ppm. Also tested with a salt water test strip which also shows it to be in 5000 range.

Welcome to the forum!
To my knowledge Borax - sodium tetraborate - does not increase chloride levels.
Why are you raising pH with high TA?
The borates will impact how much acid is needed to adjust pH and TA in your pool.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Hi - My TA levels was around 260 a few weeks ago with pH at 7.4. I've been adding MA to get the TA down and is now around 120 range - but pH dropped to 6.8. So have been adding borax to increase the pH w/o increasing the TA. Currently in the 7.2 range.
My SWG indicates it operates between 3000 to 4500 levels. So with tested salt in 4900 to 5000 level do I need to take action if the SWG is showing no issues/error? (CircuPool edge-40)
Or do I need to drain and refill some amount as the salt level will cause damage.
Thanks!

Do not use Borax to raise pH from 6.8 when your TA is above 80 or so. The pH will rebound quickly with some aeration. Borax does raise TA a little.

What is the SWCG reporting for salinity?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.