Kiawah Island, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm in the process of planning to build a new house in a ski town. I'm interested in doing a gunite + plaster unit. My question is, can I just not heat it in the summer and use it as a pool and only heat it in the winter to use it as a hot tub? Maybe go with a salt system to generate chlorine. Any ideas/thoughts on this? Thanks so much.

C,

Will your pool be open year round, like mine, or will it have to be closed in the winter to prevent the pipes from freezing???

If you plan to heat the pool all winter long, please let me know who supplies your gas, as I want to invest in their stock.. :mrgreen:

Does your pool have an auto cover??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mdragger88
How large of a pool ard you considering?
It may be better on your wallet to have a standalone hot tub for the winter & just close the pool. I imagine it gets pretty chilly in a ski town & that the cold weather is a longer period than the warm weather.
A swcg is a good idea for both pool & spa especially if this is not your primary residence.

Reactions: cuttingedgepool
C,

Will your pool be open year round, like mine, or will it have to be closed in the winter to prevent the pipes from freezing???

If you plan to heat the pool all winter long, please let me know who supplies your gas, as I want to invest in their stock.. :mrgreen:

Does your pool have an auto cover??

Thanks,

Jim R.
I was going to go with a smallish pool, maybe 4000 gallons and yes i'd put in an auto cover. And yes, keeping it open in winter will be costly.

Can you spray foam insulate the outer shell of a pool prior to concrete?

Another thought 💭
Have you considered a swim spa? Larger like a small pool but insulated all around including the cover & operates like a spa but with more of a pool like bather load…
You can dig a pit or build a deck around it so it doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb.
You would just want to be sure that you still have access to all the equipment panels.
There’s several threads here about doing this for hot tubs

Reactions: cuttingedgepool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.