Spa Waterfall not flowing when pump on low.

Hchang

Sep 1, 2020
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a spa that has a spillover waterfall into the pool. I have the Intelliflow VSP set on a timer to switch between hi and low pump speeds. Most of the time the pump runs on low which is at 2500 RPMs. Normally, the waterfall spills over during BOTH high and low speeds, just obviously in different amounts/speeds of water flowing over.

All of sudden, the spa will not flow over during low speed. I can't feel water coming through the jets, even though nothing has changed with the valves or equipment, only pump speed has changed. if I turn up the speed of the pump too high (3500), it works.

Nothing has recently has changed with the equipment that I can tell, all the valves are in their normal position. Spa otherwise works fine in spa mode as well, valves turn off to the pool, water recirculates in the spa, jets all work, blower works etc.

Any idea why this is happening?
I am including a picture of our equipment set up.
IMG_1658 2.jpeg

When did you last clean your filter?

What is your filter PSI?

Remove the filter cartridge and run your system and see things work normally in which case your filter is clogged.

When did you last clean your filter?

What is your filter PSI?

Remove the filter cartridge and run your system and see things work normally in which case your filter is clogged.
ok thanks for that advice. the filter was cleaned about a month ago.
if the filter is clogged, why would it only effect the jet returns? Pool returns seem to be working fine in low mode.

Hc,

A dirty filter will effect all water flow.. It is just more noticeable with the spa spillover because it is a little harder to force the amount of water needed for the overflow through the plumbing and into your spa. It is just easier for the water to go back to the pool.

The real question is how you could clog a large cartridge filter in 30 days??? :scratch:

Is your pool green or cloudy? Did you just use some pool store 'magic' to kill alage?

Something is just not right.. Tell us more.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
if the filter is clogged, why would it only effect the jet returns? Pool returns seem to be working fine in low mode.

The spa overflow is where you can visibly see the effects of low water flow.

Out of other places you see water flowing but don;t know how little the flow is.

A filter can clog in a month from algae that can be in a clear pool.

Reactions: Hchang
Hc,

A dirty filter will effect all water flow.. It is just more noticeable with the spa spillover because it is a little harder to force the amount of water need for the overflow through the plumbing and into your spa. It is just easier for the water to go back to the pool.

The real question is how you could clog a large cartridge filter in 30 days??? :scratch:

Is your pool green or cloudy? Did you just use some pool store 'magic' to kill alage?

Something is just not right.. Tell us more.

Thanks,

Jim R.
ok I see what you mean that about the water flow to the spa.

Not really sure how I could clog a large cartridge filter in 30 days. I am in central Texas. we've already been through our live oaks dumping all their leaves, that is a beast to keep up with. Cleaned the filter after that had passed.

We've also been through our annual pollen dump here from the Cedar Trees. Everything turns yellow from the fine dust of pollen. It was actually lighter this year than usual. this happened after the filter being cleaned, so I guess it could have contributed. But seems odd to me, this happens every year.

My water is cloudy, which is unusual for me, but I am clearly having some sort of circulation issue. but no, I have not used pool store magic to kill algae. I use the trouble free method to maintain my pool.

What RPM is your low speed?

Remove the cartridge and do the test.

Cloudy water points to algae. Algae points to a clogged filter.

You probably need to clean your filter and follow the SLAM Process

What RPM is your low speed?

Remove the cartridge and do the test.

Cloudy water points to algae. Algae points to a clogged filter.

You probably need to clean your filter and follow the SLAM Process
RPM on low is 2500. Which is higher than what some would consider low from my understanding?

By “do the test” you mean remove the cartridges from the filter and run the system without them?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
RPM on low is 2500. Which is higher than what some would consider low from my understanding?

Yes, that is not low. Low RPMS would be 1800 RPMs or less.

By “do the test” you mean remove the cartridges from the filter and run the system without them?

Yup.

Hc,

just for some reference...

I have the CCP-520 and only clean my filter twice a year. I actually could go a whole year between cleanings, but my OCD will not let me. :mrgreen:

I just checked, and at 2500 RPM, my filter pressure is 10 lbs. but I don't have a heater.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.