Spa spillover always running

wgmamc11

Oct 17, 2020
North Texas
Hi, back for help again. From recent reading here, I understand my spillover should not flow during the entire circulation cycle, but only an hour or so per day.
Currently in Pool mode, the drain is 100% from pool and return valve sets to about 55% spa and 45% pool. There is a constant spillover but it just runs down the face, not our like a sheer descent.

In Spa mode, drain and return are 100% spa.

Spillover mode on my old Hayward/Goldline AquaLine controller seems to be disabled.

SWCG flow switch is in pool return line, so it only runs in pool mode.

What should I change? Pool mode to 100% pool drain & return? Enable spillover mode to pool drain with spa return?

Thanks!

If you only want the spillover to run an hour or two per day, then you need to reset the Return valve so that it moves to either 100% Spa or 100% Pool.. Then you need to enable the spillway mode in your automation and set up a schedule for it to run an hour or so per day.

In the Spillway mode, water is sucked through the Intake from the pool (Skimmer/Main Drain), and sent back through the Return valve to the Spa.. You adjust the amount of spillover by adjusting the speed of your VS pump.

Thanks

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. With your answer, I was able to search up how to adjust the cams in the valves. But I also realized my old AquaLine PS-8 controller cannot set a separate Spillover timeclock.

If Spillover is enabled, the filtering periods all run in Spillover rather than Pool Only.
If Spillover is disabled, filtering runs in Pool Only, so spa water is not exchanged unless Spillover is manually enabled.

Is there any workaround out there to switch valves to Spillover for a short time during the automated filtering times?

If Spillover is enabled, the filtering periods all run in Spillover rather than Pool Only.
If Spillover is disabled, filtering runs in Pool Only, so spa water is not exchanged unless Spillover is manually enabled.

I am not sure what that means..

As long at the pump is running you are filtering... :scratch:

In the Pool mode all the water gets sucked from the pool and returned to the pool.. No water goes to the spa.
In the Spa mode all the water gets sucked from the Spa and returned to the Spa.. No fresh water ever gets into the spa.
In the Spillover mode all the water gets sucked from the pool and returned to the Spa. This is what keeps your spa water fresh. We usually suggest that you run this mode twice a day for half an hour or so each time.. You just schedule this like any other action.

I'm sure it is just me, but I don't understand the problem.. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim. It’s not you, it’s my old automation. With the AquaLine, I cannot schedule both Pool and Spillover periods. It’s one or the other.

Now I’m just trying to find a workaround because the constant spillover is eroding the vertical grout lines and pH rise is excessive.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.