Spa return size

Alwayshad1

Oct 11, 2020
North central Florida
Just had a heater installed for our pool/spa. The spa runs off a separate pump, I think it is 3/4 hp. The guy who installed the heater put in 1” diameter returns and there is hardly any pressure so to speak, not enough that makes it feel like a massage. If I put in say 1/2” or 3/4” returns I know the pressure will increase but will there be any negatives as far as possible damage to the heater? There are a total of four returns in the spa.

What size eyeballs did you have in your spa returns before the heater was installed?

A 3/4 HP pump is small to get good pressure from spa returns.

What size eyeballs did you have in your spa returns before the heater was installed?

A 3/4 HP pump is small to get good pressure from spa returns.
I honestly don’t know but I remember when the spa pump was running, two of the four had quite a bit of pressure coming out as the water was visibly swirling and foaming from those. Not much out of the other two.

Give smaller eyeballs a try and see how they work. It will not damage your Heat Pump.

Smaller eyeballs will raise your filter pressure due to the restriction and may reduce your flow. If your HP complains of LOW FLOW then you will need a larger pump to get the flow necessary for the HP and small eyeballs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.