Matherne07

Jun 15, 2020
Luling, LA
I have a newly built pool from a local builder. He can't seem to solve the issue in my spa. I've added a sketch and photo for reference. Water and air enter on the center as shown in the sketch and T off to 3 returns each with a 12" extension past the last return on each side (they are not connected in a loop). They are air/water mixing returns with eyeballs. On startup everything seemed fine but once the blower got turned on one return was not receiving water pressure, only air. This caused lots of water to spill over the side of the hot tub requiring me to add water to the pool after two uses. I've had someone (3rd party) come out and blow air from the spa return valve using a pressure plug and compressed air with all other returns plugged. There was initially no air coming through the return in the spa. We then reversed course and blew from the spa return back through the valve and got a great deal of water out. So we assumed there was a blockage, and blew back again through the valve and then received air into the spa from the water line. We put everything back together and the situation is the same. I've also attached the fitting that was used. I have a theory that the fitting used is defective, hole not cut out like the others or there is something with the hydraulics happening here. I'd like to get this solved and hopefully not have to bust out a spa wall to fix it.

Attachments

• mark up.jpg
    mark up.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3976.JPG
    IMG_3976.JPG
    839.9 KB · Views: 13
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 11
Hmmm. :unsure:
From the pressure test it does sound like a blockage of some sort. The hexagonal nozzle in the jet could be a threaded fitting. Get a socket and long extension and see if you can remove it. This will provide a bigger hole for an obstruction to blow out of. It should come out pretty easily if it comes out at all so don't force it very much or you will break it if it is not removeable.
Do you know the brand of the jet?

CMP fitting. Theres definitely something in the fitting somewhere. Get one of those skinny fiberoptic inspection cameras and check the whole fitting. Probably a mold issue from manufacturing

You mean the molded plastic, not mold growing in it, right?
It is odd that it only obstructs from one direction. Curious to hear results of scope. Please keep us posted.

I have a small camera, but the camera head is too long to make the 90 degree turn up to the nozzle. Going to look for a smaller head. I thought about having the builder chip out the back side and drilling an inspection hole to see, but he swears there is no repair method for the fitting and he would "very mad" if he had to chip it out and there was nothing wrong with it. I feel as though I spent that much money on a pool and it should operate properly.

I agree with @RDspaguy , this is the builder's problem, press him until he fixes it. In the meantime, try this. I had an obstruction in one of my Venturi jets. Take the jets off and use a rod to probe the port while it running. There was a piece of plastic that was pressed up against the outflow only when it was under pressure. and only after I was poking at it did it dislodge. Just a thought

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah sorry RDspaguy I meant mould Dang spell check. I've seen sloppy insides on returns amd skimmers before. CMP makes copies of everyone's fittings I use their returns alot they are Hayward clones. Like the last poster stated he had the issue i was thinking of, a thin flap of plastic moving with flow or even stuck between passages. Ive used an electricians fish tape to get in wierd spots try it with some slow flow

Reactions: RDspaguy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.