Spa / Pool Check Valve Stuck Closed

Jun 28, 2016
Houston, TX
My check valve connected to the plumbing for my Spa seems to be stuck in the closed position. This has been going on for about a week and I can't seem to find a solution and any advice would be appreciated. My spa is connected to my pool with an overflow waterfall. What would normally happen is when my pump turns on the check valve will open and the water jets in my spa would then allow water to flow over the waterfall edge into the pool. What is currently happening is the valve remains closed and just a trickle or water comes over my edge. So little water is coming out of my spa water jets that you can't even feel it with your hand. I have removed the check valve and all seems to be functioning normal with no signs of damage. My filter is currently sitting at 30 psi which does mean I need to clean them this weekend but I have never had this issues with my check valve even at this high a psi before. All other aspects of my pool including water features etc. are working as they should be.

I will be cleaning the filter and trying to dig a little deeper into this problem this weekend and was hoping someone may have some ideas of other things I should be checking at this time.

Derek,

The check valve is only there to prevent the spa from draining back into the pool when the pump is off..

For it to prevent the water from going to the spa it would have to be physically broken inside.

Is your check valve an old style, where you can't see inside, or is it a newer Jandy check valve with removable guts??

Please post some pics of your equipment pad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It is the newer style where you can see inside and you can replace/ remove parts. I replaced the whole valve assembly last summer when my spa was draining back into my pool. When the pump is on it stays closed when in the past I could see the flapper open. I took it apart last weekend and the flapper moves as it should so I am at a lose. Only thing I can think of is there may be a clog or broken valve before the check valve causing it to not allow enough water to pass through and open the flapper.

I am at the office now so will have to add pictures later this evening. I appreciate you responding.

Thanks,
Derek

Derek,

You can put the guts in backward and it would cause the problem you are having..

Since the problem goes away when you remove the guts, that sounds possible to me..

If there were a clog in the line it would still not work when the guts were removed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

OK, I may not be explaining it correctly. I only removed the whole assembly to check the flapper by hand once it stopped working. It was never removed before that and the flapper was working so I know the guts are not in backwards. You did give me an idea though. I will take the guts out and put it back together and see if I get water through my jets. If so then at least I would know the issue is with the check valve and not a deeper issue. Would this be the only two options that would cause an issue like this or would there be more areas I need to check?

Derek,

When you said "I have removed the check valve and all seems to be functioning normal with no signs of damage.", I mis-read that to mean you ran the system with the check valve out...

Based upon that info, I think your problem is simply a dirty filter. They can no doubt cause the problem that you are having.. "Assuming" your system ran OK with the check valve removed, led me down the wrong path..

Thanks,

Jim R.

OK, I will clean my filter to give this a try first. If this does not work I will run my system with the check valve guts removed, as you suggested, to further diagnose the problem. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Thanks,
Derek

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.