Spa nozzles won't suck air ?

webjeff

May 26, 2022
Greece
My freind built his own spa pool. The system has 6 spa nozzles 4m3 hr supplied by a dedicated 2 hp pump output 28 m3 hr.. the discharge of the pump is 32mm, reducing to 2 x 50mm pipes which supply the pipe loop at top and bottom. The top nozzles on the array , left and right..pump out water full blast, the bottom ones a little less and the middle ones weak. No air is sucked but it sounds like its trying i try to help him and the only thing i could suggest was to install a valve on the lower inlet 50mm line. When we did this and half closed it, the too right nozzle started working for a while and sucked some air ! We tried closing off some nozzles and chocking in the pump but nothing helps. If you blow down the air pipes the bubbles come out two of the nozzles on the right and one on the left, but not all ? I wonder if his pump is undersized or if the nozzle extensions that appear to have been fitted are correct ? Maybe some of nozzles are glued up ?... I was not present at installation so i have no more info. Any ideas what is wrong ?

Attachments

• IMG-20220521-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220521-WA0001.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20220521-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220521-WA0000.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2022-05-26-20-42-56-950_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-26-20-42-56-950_com.android.chrome.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 10
Sounds like there might be too much head loss in the system preventing sufficient flow rate to the jets. 50 mm doesn't support very high flow rates without a lot of head loss and if the nozzles are large, a large amount of flow rate is going to be necessary.

What is orifice size of the nozzles (i.e. smallest diameter in the nozzle)?

What is the pump make/model?

How far is the equipment to/from the spa jets?

Sounds like there might be too much head loss in the system preventing sufficient flow rate to the jets. 50 mm doesn't support very high flow rates without a lot of head loss and if the nozzles are large, a large amount of flow rate is going to be necessary.

What is orifice size of the nozzles (i.e. smallest diameter in the nozzle)?

Attachments

• IMG-20220527-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220527-WA0001.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG-20220527-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220527-WA0003.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 7
These are the nozzles, he appears ti have installed extension pieces between the nozzle and the venturi jet bit ? He also made a "loop" and devided the pump 63mm discharge into two 50 mm pipes, one going in the top and one in the bottom of the loop. I installed a valve on one of the 50mm supplys and when i closed it about half way, the too right hand nozzle started working..???

I read a lot here about reducing the orifice ? Sorry for sounding stupid..but do they mean the hole in the center of the directional ball, (white bit) or is the orifice way inside the actual housing in the picture above( gray bit ) ?

The orifice is the tiny hole in the middle of the jet where water is ejected from.

From the drawing, it looks like the orifice is 9.6 mm which means they are 15 GPM jets. With 6 jets you will need a total of 90 GPM which is near the upper end of 50 mm pipe recommendations.

I installed a valve on one of the 50mm supplys and when i closed it about half way, the too right hand nozzle started working..???
Because it is forcing more water to the the nozzles that started working. It is all about getting the correct water flow into ALL the nozzles.

But two questions you did not answer that are very important:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.