Lenexa, KS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I believe I have a 1st gen Pentair LED spa light that is now dead.

spa light pic.png

From what I've read, I can't replace the LED engine/board so I need to replace the entire light/fixture/unit.

I'd really like to do a DIY LED job as seen here:

The problem is, I don't think I can use the old light above and I don't really want to buy a brand new one to then rip it apart.

Does anyone sell the power cable, light housing, lens, gasket, etc. withOUT the actual led engine/light?
Or is there a new option that may be on the cheaper side that I can buy and not feel bad about taking it apart?

I know used is always an option as well.
If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!!

Note: Electricity CAN be dangerous.

Love the idea, here are some parts.. I was going to say hit up sunseeker but its in the video :)

Backstory: I'm working on a separate DIY project (see my other thread)

I'm trying to see if I can use this enclosure in my DIY project but I'm not sure what is behind the led module and there aren't any screws.

I believe this is a Pentair 1st Gen LED Spa Light (just not sure if its called 5g or not)

Has anyone seen photos or a diagram of what is behind this led board?

pentair-spa-light.png

Either way, I'm going to take a drill (or something) to it but if I can find out what it looks like ahead of time, it might help me drill in the right place.

For all I know, it's just sold silicon or something like that but I'm hoping the wires are easily accessible.

I'll report back what I find if no one has any ideas.

*** I tried looking through Google Patents to see if I could find a similar design but didn't have any luck.

Thanks!

I'll keep you all updated as I move along in the event it could help someone else.

And this is why you should have patience!

inside-light-1.png

There were 2 levels of "boards.

My drill went too far and snagged 2 wires and ripped them out.
You can see a little bit of the ends still sticking out. The orange cable escaped unharmed.

The next question is ... is the bottom solid or is something else going on in there?

Stay tuned.

Attachments

• pieces.png
    pieces.png
    636.8 KB · Views: 3
Thanks Cowboy!

I think I'm going to try to find a used Pentair 5G 2nd Gen "enclosure/unit/etc." that looks to be in good shape.
I just have to be careful not to buy the same model that I currently have.

I don't think any of the Pentiar spa lights are "serviceable" but I THINK on the 2nd Gen units, you can get to the wiring.

Here is another thread where I'm chatting with myself about the spa light fixture I currently have.

Stay tuned!

Reactions: cowboycasey
After I removed the second board, there appears to be a chip embedded in the black "stuff".
I need to figure out if something else is going on down there.

I also included a before and after pic to show the time I wasted cleaning up a piece of garbage!

Attachments

• before-after.png
    before-after.png
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • inside-light-2.png
    inside-light-2.png
    687 KB · Views: 8
I'll keep you all updated as I move along in the event it could help someone else.

And this is why you should have patience!

View attachment 337765

There were 2 levels of "boards.

My drill went too far and snagged 2 wires and ripped them out.
You can see a little bit of the ends still sticking out. The orange cable escaped unharmed.

The next question is ... is the bottom solid or is something else going on in there?

Stay tuned.

My tetanus shot feels this picture.

What are ya doing over there? BTW, use a heat gun or propane torch on low to head up the potting material and it should come out in one big clump.

I have a couple threads going that discuss my DIY LED work in progress but I'm curious if anyone knows, what is inside the black compound in the bottom of the light "body?

The green, black and white wires come in from the panel/power into the back of the unit.
Then a white, white and green wire appear from out of the black compound.

Is it just wires connecting? Are there other electronics in there?

pentair-led-5g.png

I have a couple threads going that discuss my DIY LED work in progress but I'm curious if anyone knows, what is inside the black compound in the bottom of the light "body?

The green, black and white wires come in from the panel/power into the back of the unit.
Then a white, white and green wire appear from out of the black compound.

Is it just wires connecting? Are there other electronics in there?

View attachment 341117
Judging by your wire colors, there is likely some power supply circuitry potted in the black stuff. You have a picture of the LED assembly that was connected in there?

I sure do. Here is a picture of the LED board.

pentair-5g-spa-led-pic2.png

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• pentair-5g-spa-led-pic1.png
    pentair-5g-spa-led-pic1.png
    553.9 KB · Views: 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick update.

The reason I was trying to figure this out was because I purchased a "broken" Pentair 5G Spa light (100 foot cable) off ebay and I spent 2 hours (as much as I don't want to admit it) testing it and couldn't get any readings on my multimeter that made any sense. The light and wiring looked BRAND NEW. The "broken" part was a part of the LED board inside.

Then it occurred to me .... maybe the wire had been cut. Sure enough, I'd been testing 80 feet of cable that was cut off at the end. It was hard to notice or find ever after I thought of it because there is so much cable. Embarrassing but lesson learned!

I still don't know the answer to my original question but my guess is that the wires are just connected in the dark unknown.

Fingers crossed that the length that hasn't been cut is long enough!!

I'll keep updating my thread in the event anyone else ever reads it.

So, I finally got the time to pull out my old spa light.
This was the time I was going to know whether the light I purchased on ebay was going to be long enough (since the original owner cut it off but didn't tell me).

I pulled it out and lined up my new light with the cable and I'm literally 12" short from being able to get it installed with NO slack. If I wanted to have the extra slack then I needed 3 or 4 more feet.

So - now I'm trying to figure out my next move. I sent a message to the local pool repair company to see if they had any old "dead" 5G 12v units that clients didn't need. I'm a little surprised there aren't more "pulled" lights on ebay but maybe I'm the only idiot that wants to buy a dead LED Pool Light.

Stay tuned as the saga continues.

For anyone reading this - I ended up purchasing brand new pentair 12v 5G WHITE led lights and immediately removing the led board to replace with my DIY solution. If I can get a few $$ for the LED boards, the cost won't end up being so high!

Now if an led goes out, it will cost me $8 :)

• Love
Reactions: MyAZPool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.