Spa level drops overnight even after replacing Check Valve. Replace never lube diverters next?

RonHTexas

May 25, 2024
Dallas Texas
Set up: Pools is salt system, 18,000 gallons, DE Filter. Pool heater. Booster Pump for pool cleaner. Poolside elevated Spa drains (overflows) into pool.

A week ago spa water level dropped overnight. Ordered OEM Jandy check valve flapper assy. (I have done this before successfully) Had to wait a few days for OEM part to arrive. When I replaced check valve, the old one still looked to be in good shape and seemed that it should still seal. So after installing the new check valve assy, the next day the Spa water level still dropped.

I am ordering Jandy 4720 never lube diverters and should get these tomorrow.

My questions:
Could the diverter valves be my problem?
Could it have been the diverter valves instead of the check valve causing the problem?
And if I replace them and still have the same problem, what's next?

Thanks

Hopefully you can tell something from the set up. Bear in mind that everything was working fine until a week or so. I could not find in our records ever rebuilding the Never Lube diverter valves, however they were installed in 2011. We are in close to you over here in Richardson if our north Texas heat is a factor. Parts will be here Tuesday and if that doesn't fix it, the wife will insist we call a service. We use Leslie's Pools

Thanks

Attachments

• Pool Equip 1.JPG
    Pool Equip 1.JPG
    720.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Pool Equip 2.JPG
    Pool Equip 2.JPG
    687.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Pool Equip 3.JPG
    Pool Equip 3.JPG
    641 KB · Views: 1
Ron,

After your SWCG is the Return valve. Right below the return valve, is a Red ball valve.

The Red ball valve is part of what is called a make-up-line.. When in the pool mode, water is sent through the Red ball valve, and then down through the black check valve, and into the spa causing it to spillover into the pool.

I assume that is the check valve that you replaced. Yes?? As a test, you can shut the Red ball valve off and let the spa sit overnight and see if it continues to drain. If it does not drain down, then that check valve is still bad..

I suspect that your make up line feeds water to a fountain, or a pipe in the bottom of your spa.. Is that true?

Note that right behind the Black check valve in the make up line, is a "bulge" in the plumbing.. That is also an old style check valve.. I suspect that check valve is also there to prevent water from flowing backward from the spa. But, even if bad, the Return valve would also have to be bad for there to be any reverse flow through that pipe.

I "assume" your plan is to rework both the Intake and Return valves.. Yes??

I think you and I have different opinions about Leslie's.. :) I usually joke that I'd rather it just dripple down my leg as to go into a Leslie's just to use their bathroom.. :mrgreen:

Good luck with your leak hunt.. Let me know if you have any other questions..

Please let us know what you find,

Thanks,

Jim R.