Spa level dropping and low pressure jets when moving from POOL to SPA mode - Leak, broken valve or something else?

Dtmoura

Jul 7, 2021
Florida
I have a pool and spa, where the spa water overflows into the pool when in normal "POOL" mode. When in "SPA" mode, an automated valve closes the pool inlets and leaves only the spa inlet. Normal stuff and all was working fine until recently.

Today I set it to SPA mode and notice in just a few minutes the Spa level went quite low, below the jets. The jets pressure were also lower than normal. When back to POOL mode, jets pressure would go back up to normal pressure and spa would overflow as normal.

I have minimum pool experience but logically I am thinking two hypothesis:

1) Major leak in the SPA inlet pipes, so when automated valve starts sucking via the Spa pipes only, whole system loses water before it reaches the pump and hence why return to SPA is lower pressure and level is dropping.

2) There is another automated valve (Jandy CVA-24) on the return (splits between pool and spa). This valve is currently set at 45 degree between both Spa and Pool, sending water back half/half (I suppose). This valve is not moving when switching from Pool to Spa mode but I dont remember if it ever did move, hence I am not sure. But I wonder if when in SPA mode it should send 100% of water to SPA only and that is why pressure and water in the spa return is low (because part of the Spa water and being sent to pool). Not sure how to move this valve manually to test it.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Thanks a lot!!

D,

I doubt you have any leak.

Your "return" valve should move when you go from Pool mode to Spa mode. If it does not that is the problem.

In the spa mode the Return valve should send all the water back to the spa.

In the pool mode most water should go to the pool and some to the spa to cause it to overflow into the pool.

Switch back and forth between the pool mode and the spa mode and see which valves move and where.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP.

This valve is not moving when switching from Pool to Spa mode but I dont remember if it ever did move, hence I am not sure.

The return valve should move to return all the water to your spa. You are returning half the water to the pool which is why your spa is draining.

But I wonder if when in SPA mode it should send 100% of water to SPA only and that is why pressure and water in the spa return is low (because part of the Spa water and being sent to pool).

Correct

Not sure how to move this valve manually to test it.
Look at the bottom or side of the actuator and you will find a toggle switch with three positions - 1 - OFF - 2. Move the toggle switch and see if the valve turns.

Post pics of your equipment pad showing both actuators in POOL mode and SPA mode.

D,

If the Return valve does not move it could be a couple of things, but the first thing to check is the little three-way switch on the actuator. (On - Off - On) Make sure it is not in the middle off position.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.