Spa Jets

What you don't know is if this setup ever worked properly. That may be why there were no nozzels in the spa when you got the house. You really don't know how the builder intended th spa to operate.

Well, I ran the thing for a few months with no jets while searching for ones that would fit. So the lines should be very clear.

I am gonna try closing off the jets one at a time and put air thru to get the last two flowing and see if that works later this week. If not, I am starting to wonder if these are the right jets, or they just happen to fit in the housings.

What you don't know is if this setup ever worked properly. That may be why there were no nozzels in the spa when you got the house. You really don't know how the builder intended th spa to operate.

my understanding from the previous owners was it did work when they moved in. They just hadn’t opened the pool or spa in 5+ years and lost the jets.

OK -- I am not up to speed on the history.

You most likely do not have the right jets. Or something is terribly wrong in the plumbing.

I was able to find the correct inserts- they are Hayward Jet Air III just in case someone searches this up and for posterity.

However, now I have a new problem. After installing the jets, if I loosen the air intake valve water shoots out of it. I’ll post a new thread seeking help on that one!
If you get water when you open the air intake, you have the wrong jet. Picture of what you have?

If you get water when you open the air intake, you have the wrong jet. Picture of what you have?
9F410D6C-7E47-4861-8F93-CCD6D97D51DD.jpeg
The jets I found that fit are pictured above - Hayward Jet Air III SP1434-PAKB. The inserts are pictured towards the beginning of this thread.

These are the only jets that I could find that appear to match the proper housing (with 2 holes on the escutcheon as in the photos). I tried several versions of the old style waterway jets and while the sit in the housing nicely, they won’t thread into the insert. Also the escutcheons of the waterway jets have 4 holes, not two like the Hayward’s. Any ideas on where to go or what to try next?

I dont believe the jet you are trying to get is directional. The jet housing you have looks to me like it is for a fixed jet. When you look into the housing, do the water and the air ports oppose each other from the sides? Or does the water come from the very back of the housing and the air comes in through the side?

the air comes from the top, the water from bottom, which appears to match the housing for the Hayward Jet Air III. Pic of my housing is below, as well as the diagram from the Hayward Jet Air III housing. It appears to match.

So I think I have my next idea on what I want to do here... looking at the below pic from a data sheet on the jets, it appears there is supposed to be another seal/ring behind the jet, in addition to the seal on the retaining ring. This would make sense as it appears to sit right between the separation between the water in the back of the housing, and the air slightly forward. It would also make sense as to why their seal replacement kit each comes with 2 seals and 1 o-ring, but the jet body has only 1 seal and 1 o-ring. I am going to try removing a jet tonight, and see if one of those seals will fit back in the housing prior to installing the jet. I can't find reference to it anywhere else, but it does look like there is meant to be a seal there, and it would also support why the jet seems a little loose in the housing even when the retaining ring is tightened down.

The jet should not be loose. And there are two seals.

Did you purchase these jets and install them originally or did a pool service person do it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I purchased them. The jets only came with the installed seal on the retaining ring and the oring on the nozzle, not a second seal for inside the housing. I assume this is because they assume the 2nd ring is already installed inside the housing. Given that no jets have been installed for probably years, the seals inside the housing are long gone. But I have the replacements on hand based on all the seal/o-ring kits I ordered... so will be easy to give it a try later on this evening when I get home. This seems like the most likely problem, hoping it takes care of it. They are not incredibly loose, but there is a small amount of play in the jet when installed. I assume the seal ring will help take this play out and tighten everything up, as well as separate the air from the water.

Apologies, i thought that this was a gunite pool/spa. This appears (from the diagrams) that this is a plastic or portable spa? Don't listen to me, i'm no help here.

Please, if you have more issues, list your pool type, system, etc., in your signature area, so we/i wont waste your time. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.