Spa Jets

fort384

Apr 27, 2019
Illinois
Hi there,
I moved into a house last fall with an in ground spa and pool. None of the returns for the Spa has fittings installed, and the previous owner did not leave any of the fittings anywhere (long story, but same for the pool - fortunately for that the hayward returns fit just fine. I tried standard hayward fittings but they don't thread in the spa. How can I figure out what spa jets will fit the return lines? They appear to be 2" openings, with smooth pipe back about an inch from the collar, and then pipe thread back behind that that might be 1.5" or so. I would have figured these fittings were universal but apparently not so. I can't find any identifying markings on any of the spa fittings to figure out who made it. Any suggestions?

Well, I attempted to install a WaterWay 210-6080 and unfortunately while it fits in the housing almost perfectly, it will not thread into the housing.

I am not sure where to go or what to try next. I attached some photos showing the housing, as well at the WaterWay 210-6080 sitting in the housing (though it is not threaded in). Anyone have any ideas? It seems like there are a million jet inserts, and short of continuing to buy 1 at a time til I can find one that fits, I am not sure what else to do.

IMG_2751.JPGIMG_2754.JPGIMG_2759.JPGIMG_2755.JPG

I was able to find the correct inserts- they are Hayward Jet Air III just in case someone searches this up and for posterity.

However, now I have a new problem. After installing the jets, if I loosen the air intake valve water shoots out of it. I’ll post a new thread seeking help on that one!

Keep your problems all in one thread. The history helps.

Merged threads - mknauss TFP Mod

I have an inground pool and spa with spillover. It is about 15-18 years old. I recently moved into the house and got everything up and running and cleaned up after years of neglect. I had to search for a couple of months to find jet inserts for the spa as there were none installed. Finally found the right ones to fit but now I have a new problem: since installing the jets, water shoots out of the little air intake valve mounted next to the spa in the concrete deck. With no jets installed in the housings this did not happen. Now I can close the valve right so no water comes out the intake, but would like for the air intake to actually function with the jets I was finally able to find. The intake is only a few inches from side of the spa, not run all the way back to the pad like some seem to be. I took the cover off the intake to allow water to flush out, lots of black bits and gunk so clearly it’s had water in it a while. Any ideas what would cause this? It isn’t just a slow drip, water literally will shoot out of it if I open it all the way up.

The jet inserts are Hayward Jet Air III if that matters. Any help would be appreciated! Seems like I fix one thing only to create a new problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Typically that occurs when the jets are either plugged or severely restricted. Are you getting good water flow out of the jets? Are they adjustable?

Last edited:

Which nozzels do you have?

Confirm you do not have an air blower?

Post pics of the air intake valve.
I have the SP1434PAKB inserts. I have a blower but it is plumbed separately into the seats of the spa. The air intake is separate and on the deck right next to the spa. I’ll grab a pic tomorrow but it is just a generic PVC cap/tube. I can crank it all the way down and seal it but if I even crack it open a bit water streams out.

On that PDF there is a seal kit. I am wondering if that is the issue. The inserts came with no gaskets/seals. Just hard plastic and the insert sits behind a hard plastic retaining ring that threads in. They work fine with the pump on but with the pump off I can move the whole assembly around (I.e push it back into the housing). The retaining ring keeps it from popping out but no seal keeps it from shifting backwards without pump pressure. Odd to me that the inserts wouldn’t come with seals but can confirm there was no gasket or seal of any kind that came with the insert.

Last edited:
Ok thanks! I’ll get some coming. Do you know where they are to be installed? Is it behind the retaining ring and in front of the jets? Or behind the jet? I can’t find any documentation as to where it goes.

Ok, thanks Marty. really appreciate the help. It looks like the kit comes with an O-ring and 2 seals. I should have them tomorrow so will take out a fitting and see if I can monkey with it and figure it out. Frustrating that none of the documentation from Hayward or elsewhere even mentions the rings or seals, much less shows where they are installed. The only mention is just the part #.

Here is what I ordered: Amazon.com: Hayward SPX1434JA Seal and O-ring Replacement Kit for Hayward Hydrotherapy and Spa Fittings: Garden & Outdoor

Ok - so the saga continues. Turns out there were rings and seals on the jets. So I have a lot of spares on hand now. I took all the jets out and used my compressor to blow air down the intake. Bubbles came out 4 of the 6 jets - but not enough umph to get bubbles from the last 2. I turned on the spa and hit the intake with compressed air after putting the jets back in. Air was enough to keep the water from shooting out but not enough to make it to the jets. Not sure what to do next.

Hmm. Well, I know when my pool was new I had to pull all the jets and flush the lines of 'stuff' out of them. Might try that. Do the air line too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.