Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2021
Thousand Oaks, CA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey All - this one is a new one to me, though I'm guessing not to a lot of people.

Following a fairly severe storm system here in Southern California (with some much needed rain) and then some days of high wind, I have noticed that the spa jets are on when only the pool is supposed to be running. The wind had introduced a crazy amount of leaves into the pool and skimmer.

I've now cleaned that up, and the skimmer works fine, but the spa jets are still going also. When I engage Spa mode, that behaves as it should.

I've observed the Jandy actuator and it seems to function fine, switching over when the system requests to shift from pool to spa mode.

Am I looking at some kind of valve failure somewhere or a blockage of some sort? I'm assuming the recent weather could be to blame, but I can't say that for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Post pics of your equipment pad and suction and return valves when in POOL mode and SPA mode.

If your return valve actuator is turning normally then the diverter may be broken internally.

Your problem is likely with the POOL/SPA return diverter valve.

Thanks so much! OK - 1st image is spa mode. My hardware knowledge is still lacking after a year with this. Rightmost pump is the pool/spa one - the other just for a fountain.

The valve on the right turns when mode change requested. I thought that was the suction valve as it's where I control the flow for the vacuum. The valve on the left doesn't move at all (I assume it should be at this point...so it's the actuator that's failed?)

Pressure up in both modes which is typical for this system when the spa is running.

How weatherproof are these actuators anyway? And if it is the case, I assume I cen get to some kind of manual usage in order to fix temporarily

Thanks again!

Screenshot_20221117_143931_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221117_144156_Gallery.jpg

Big,

The automated valve on the right of your pic is the "Intake" valve and the valve on the left of your pic is the "Return" valve.

Both valves should move 180 degrees when switching between the pool mode and the spa mode.

Obviously, the Return valve is not moving.

Each valve actuator has a small three-way switch.. On - Off - On. Make sure the switch is not in the middle off position.

It could be a bad actuator, or a bad signal from your automation system.

The actuator is meant to be outside and is plenty water proof.

What automation system do you have?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim

It's an Aqualink, old . The actuator was in the switch position ok, either #1 or #2 , so I switched it to the opposing to see if it would move it when the pump was turned on again - just to rule out an issue with the automation. It didn't, so maybe it's dead. I'll have to google exactly how I turn it using manual power off mode.

Thanks Jim

It's an Aqualink, old . The actuator was in the switch position ok, either #1 or #2 , so I switched it to the opposing to see if it would move it when the pump was turned on again - just to rule out an issue with the automation. It didn't, so maybe it's dead. I'll have to google exactly how I turn it using manual power off mode.
Just remove the actuator valve. ( 4 screws) Then put the handle from that valve actuator valve on the jandy that is/was under the actuator. Now you have a manual valve.

Thanks Jim

If that is a true Jandy brand actuator, a JVA2400, you should be able to push down on the handle at the stem to disengage the motor and turn the valve manually. You'll feel it release. Don't have to remove the actuator. If you do remove it, you have to replace the 4 long screws that held the actuator on with the 4 short that were removed or it will leak. You need all 8 on the return valve.

Thanks again, everyone. Yes, valve now working as manual. The actuator reads with a voltage problem, so I'll see if I can fix, if not I might try one of these https://www.amazon.com/NSI-TPE24VA-...cphy=9031172&hvtargid=pla-1424601057272&psc=1

I couldn't get the actuator to disengage so I removed and replaced the screws till I figure it out. For now though, pool working as it should...
That looks just like an Intermatic valve actuator (not actually made by Intermatic). Have used many with no issues. Great price.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.