Spa heating issue, water level suspect

Oct 30, 2018
Tucson, AZ
I hammered out an afternoon mountain bike ride and decided the spa would be a nice thing to soak in afterwards last night. I fired up the spa remotely around 6pm (water temp was 50*F) and by 8pm it had only risen to 58*F. I did the typical checks, but noticed that the pool water level was much higher than normal (almost covering the skimmer completely) due to recent rains. The pool and spa are at the same level with a small spillover; there appeared to be significant waterflow in the pool area from the spillover (visible current). I don't recall this normally being the case when I've used the spa previously. Could the issue be the high water level in the pool or might I have a deeper heater related issue?

I doubt your pool water level had any effect on your spa heating. When in SPA mode valves should turn so the spa water is isolated, the spillover is not running, and the pool water is not being used and does not matter.

You need to look at what your heater is doing.

Thanks. I have 2 controller automated Jandy valves. I believe one of them rotates into a position that redirects the pump flow into the jets exclusively. There are 2 suction grilles inside the spa, but I'm not sure if another valve is needed to get the suction working or that is also actuated by the other valve responsible for powering the jets. I believe the 2nd Jandy valve is responsible for draining the spa, but I could be wrong.

I turned the system on again today and the heater is certainly working, but there is a significant current going into the pool from the spa via the spillover still. The water level appears to still be too high as it's too cold for the water to evaporate off easily this time of year.

There are 3-position switches on each Jandy valve. I have never needed to mess with these, but I could try and see what they do?!

Your return actuator is not turning if your spillover is active when in SPA mode.

Both actuators, on the suction and return lines, should turn when you change between POOL and SPA modes.

Observe who’s the actuators move when changing modes. Post pics of your plumbing and actuator positions if you need help.

Thank you for that. I went out and manually cycled each valve via its 3-position switch to verify they are still working. They are, but one of them, presumably the return actuator, had its 3-position switch in an odd in-between position; it must not have been doing anything. A closer inspection of the area suggests that a critter is actively digging around the area and may have knocked it into this non-functional position. After running the system again I do not see the spillover current anymore.

Shots of the valve positions with the system on and off attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.