Spa Heater recommendation for use with SWG`

Gibby13

Jul 12, 2019
Elgin, SC
When we had our pool put in about 2 years ago, based on recommendations here, we converted our hot tub to use salt with a SWG. I also replaced our aging spa pack and heater element with - SpaGuts brand SGVS501Z Spa Controller Kit w/ VL200 Topside, 5.5KW

Almost exactly 1 year after we were having issues with the spa tripping the breaker. I sent it in for warranty work and it took them over 6 months to get back to me and they said "The heater is shorted. There are lots of rust and corrosion damage in the heater assembly (see attachment). Chemical damage to the heater is NOT covered under warranty. A new replacement heater assembly kit is recommended for $199.95, labor for installation/testing is $75.00, and return shipping/handling fee is $27.00."

So, I'm wondering if there is a heater that is recommended for spa's/hot tubs that is good to use with salt.

When we had our pool put in about 2 years ago, based on recommendations here, we converted our hot tub to use salt with a SWG. I also replaced our aging spa pack and heater element with - SpaGuts brand SGVS501Z Spa Controller Kit w/ VL200 Topside, 5.5KW

Almost exactly 1 year after we were having issues with the spa tripping the breaker. I sent it in for warranty work and it took them over 6 months to get back to me and they said "The heater is shorted. There are lots of rust and corrosion damage in the heater assembly (see attachment). Chemical damage to the heater is NOT covered under warranty. A new replacement heater assembly kit is recommended for $199.95, labor for installation/testing is $75.00, and return shipping/handling fee is $27.00."

So, I'm wondering if there is a heater that is recommended for spa's/hot tubs that is good to use with salt.
That's a re-branded Balboa spa control (the VS501 tells you that). The proper amount of salt in a body of water for a SWG to work is less than the salinity of tears so it is not likely that the salt in the water was the issue. Any time you add chlorine to the water you are adding salt. Are you using sodium di-chlor as your sanitizer? if so, you're also adding cyanuric acid, not needed in a spa.

Spa water has issues with alkalinity if not cared for as the pH tends to drop during use. That is what usually causes the problem with spa heaters and is easily corrected with a good test kit, testing, and baking soda.

A titanium heater element is more robust than standard, but more important is maintaining chemical balance.

That's a re-branded Balboa spa control (the VS501 tells you that). The proper amount of salt in a body of water for a SWG to work is less than the salinity of tears so it is not likely that the salt in the water was the issue. Any time you add chlorine to the water you are adding salt. Are you using sodium di-chlor as your sanitizer? if so, you're also adding cyanuric acid, not needed in a spa.

Spa water has issues with alkalinity if not cared for as the pH tends to drop during use. That is what usually causes the problem with spa heaters and is easily corrected with a good test kit, testing, and baking soda.

A titanium heater element is more robust than standard, but more important is maintaining chemical balance.

Using just regular bleach and I don't add CYA.

I'm using the TFP-100 kit and purchase a refill each year.

I thought when I purchased it when I was doing research said it was titanium and/or had a 5 year warranty, but I haven't found any warranty info on the heater yet.

The proper amount of salt in a body of water for a SWG to work is less than the salinity of tears so it is not likely that the salt in the water was the issue.
They make titanium elements for use with salt systems. Salt tubs are known to eat heaters rapidly, even titanium. Maybe it's not the salt, but it's something in the saltwater system.

if so, you're also adding cyanuric acid, not needed in a spa.
Cya levels for salt chlorine generation are higher than recommended levels for standard chlorine use.

Spa water has issues with alkalinity if not cared for as the pH tends to drop during use.
Aeration raises ph, not lowers, and ph tends to rise during use for that reason.

but I haven't found any warranty info on the heater yet.
Chemical damage is never covered and accounts for over 95% of heater element replacements. A titanium element will last decades in perfect conditions. Everyone thinks they do a good job of maintenance, but very few actually do.

I have same problem… brand new hot tub heater broke after 8 months of SWG use, replacement only lasted 6 months… will get a titanium one next and see how long that lasts

looks like someone else referenced the Gecko heater housing like mine and said that the element is not replaceable... looks like I have to replace the entire housing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.