Spa grout line leaking

May 5, 2016
Boerne, Texas
Hey guys, as mentioned in the title my spa grout line is leaking water from the grout line as seen in the attached photo. It's actually leaking from two separate locations.

The builder built up the space occupied with the top two tiles with mortar to allow slots where water can cascade out over the edge of the spa. I believe this junction is where the crack formed.

Do you guys have any recommendations on how to repair this? I was thinking of trying some pool grade silicone sealant but I'm not sure that's the way to go. Maybe there is some sort of grout caulk that I don't know about?

thanks

IMG_1187.jpeg

The builder built up the space occupied with the top two tiles with mortar to allow slots where water can cascade out over the edge of the spa. I believe this junction is where the crack formed.

Water spilling over from where to where?

Show us more pics of those slots and where the water is flowing from and to?

I think you have some more fundamental design problems. Sealing is just going to push the water problems to other areas in the spa.

And you don't use silicone to seal around a spa or pool.

That sure looks like there was no waterproofing done behind the tile and the tile has failed... Below is how a tile install should be done and most builders have no idea how to do it nor care.. They just want it done as fast as possible.. I bet your tile was done in 1 or 2 days...

Last edited:
Water spilling over from where to where?

Show us more pics of those slots and where the water is flowing from and to?

I think you have some more fundamental design problems. Sealing is just going to push the water problems to other areas in the spa.

And you don't use silicone to seal around a spa or pool.

Here is the whole spa. In the second photo you can see the 3 "slits designed to let water flow out of the spa over the edge. There are 2 sets of 3 slits between the 3 sets of rock steps. Those slits are also present over the stacked rock to let water cascade over the rock into the pool.

Water is leaking out of the spa from the tile grout line over the steps at the bottom and left of the photo below. A crack is also visible from inside the spa at that grout line so I believe that is the source of the leak. As I mentioned above I think the concrete shell of the pool ends two tiles down from the spa coping and then the top of the spa was built up to allow those slits. That's just my thought. May no be repairable with out a total rebuild? I'm not sure, just asking.

If I can somehow seal the leaks and let the water flow through the designed slits that would work.

IMG_1188.JPEG

IMG_1189.JPEG

That sure looks like there was no waterproofing done behind the tile and the tile has failed... Below is how a tile install should be done and most builders have no idea how to do it nor care.. They just want it done as fast as possible.. I bet your tile was done in 1 or 2 days...

Yeah I'm sure that's the case. But that doesn't help me now lol.

In this picture it is happening because the tile was not installed correctly..
1650458696662.png

In this picture it is because it was installed wrong and the water drying in those spots creating buildup.. Some muriatic acid diluted 50% in a spray bottle and a scrub brush will get most of that off but it will come back.. You can see where the tile and grout is cracked between the spouts..
1650458823188.png

To fix this correctly everything will need to be tore down to the shell and fixed by following the list above.. When was this built, if within a couple years do a warranty and have them tear it out and rebuild it correctly. I would also use a slab of rock in those spouts to bring the water away from the tile about 3 to 6 inches so you no longer have the water drying on the tile and leaving deposits like that .. :)

Casey pretty much explains it but let me elaborate on why simply sealing the cracks is not a solution.

Water is getting into the gunite shell from the inside walls through cracks in the grout and the fact that you have no waterproofing on the gunite under the tile. Gunite is not waterproof and the water then flows to the outside wall looking for someplace to flow out. There it causes the cracks and loose tiles you see.

This is compounded when you have your Texas freezes. With water in the pool wall and behind the tiles the water expands into ice and further creates cracking.

No amount of sealing is going to stop that cycle until you stop the water from getting into the gunite walls. That takes removing the interior tile and putting the proper buildup of materials with a waterproof barrier.

With 1X1 glass tiles the grout lines must be maintained and any cracks in the grout repaired. The grout is part of the waterproof barrier. Once water gets behind the tiles it causes the problem you are experiencing.

Last edited:
Reactions: cowboycasey
The interesting part of this is just like you say Allen, the water is coming from the water inside the spa leaking through the tile and plaster into the concrete.. So really to fix this you would need to pull all tile inside and outside and start over using the directions and supplies from my earlier post...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In this picture it is happening because the tile was not installed correctly..
View attachment 402871

In this picture it is because it was installed wrong and the water drying in those spots creating buildup.. Some muriatic acid diluted 50% in a spray bottle and a scrub brush will get most of that off but it will come back.. You can see where the tile and grout is cracked between the spouts..
View attachment 402876

To fix this correctly everything will need to be tore down to the shell and fixed by following the list above.. When was this built, if within a couple years do a warranty and have them tear it out and rebuild it correctly. I would also use a slab of rock in those spouts to bring the water away from the tile about 3 to 6 inches so you no longer have the water drying on the tile and leaving deposits like that .. :)

Been 5-6 years so unfortunately no warranty. I think this all happened during that really bad winter storm and freeze we had last year.

The great thing is tile is a perfect DIY project.. You see the times it takes to do tile and it really is easy doing a little at a time.. About the only problem being the spa would have to be empty the whole time you are doing the project.. :)

1650493800244.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.