spa empties into pool when in spa mode only - stays full when pump off

marinadave

Aug 30, 2021
having trouble keeping spa filled . at first spa would fill to the spillover when in "pool mode" but when pump shut down, in ten minutes level would drop back down to the pool level. we thought it was a faulty check valve in th pool to spa bypass loop - and after that was replaced the spa will remain full if the pool mode is on, or the pump is not running. But if i switch to "spa mode" the water level in the spa will slowly drop , even below the level of the pool - once spa mode is off the water level in spa remains there until pool mode put back on and then it slowly refills. there seems to be a slow loss of water level from the pool - about 2-3 inches a week in southern cal - cant figure out if there is a slow leak somewhere ... though pool person does not think thats excessive water loss.
any thoughts are appreciated.

Welcome to TFP

Show us pics of your equipment pad and the suction and return valves in SPA mode and POOL mode.

In SPA mode do you have any water flow out of your pool returns?

What automation system do you have?

Dave,

In the Spa mode, all of the water that is sucked out the spa drain is normally returned to the spa jets.. The check valve prevents the spa from draining when the pump is off.. If your spa drains while the pump is on, in the Spa mode, then most likely the Return valve is letting some of the spa water go back to the pool.. The Return valve may not be moving to the right position or just leaking internally.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
no automation. jandy valves.
replacing the check valve seemed to have done what it needed - spa level stays high with pump off
the return valve was already changed out and if nything I notice more water draining from spa now with the valve replaced
when spa mode on, i can feel a slight stream of warm water going into the pool by the main return hole - and a slight flow of cool water coming up form the bottom of the spa -
'first 2 pictures shows the pool and spa suction valves in the POOL mode - there is also a solar heating system that adds a lot of pipes to the system. the pipe on far left is spa suction. the two on the right are the two pool suctions. the short pipe on left with black cap on it is the solar roof suction.
the 3rd picture shows the pool and spa returns in POOL mode - the two branched pipes are the ppol - the tall one on right is spa return.
the bypass between the pool and spa must be located underground somewhere - the check valve is located on a port on the inside wall of the spa

Attachments

• IMG_2866.JPG
    IMG_2866.JPG
    734.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2865.JPG
    IMG_2865.JPG
    700.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2864.JPG
    IMG_2864.JPG
    740.1 KB · Views: 11
when spa mode on, i can feel a slight stream of warm water going into the pool by the main return hole - and a slight flow of cool water coming up form the bottom of the spa -

When in spa mode all return water should go to the spa. Your return valve is leaking or you do not have it properly positioned to be 100% closed to the pool in spa mode if you feel any return water into your pool.

I don't think you posted pics of the valves in spa mode.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.