Spa draining water, check valve installed incorrectly? add 2nd check valve?

tsxchef

Aug 24, 2021
Austin, TX
New pool owner here. Looking for advice please on check valve installation and suggested fix. Thanks!
  • Situation = Spa and pool. 14,500gal combined. pool equipment is approximately 40ft away from spa and pool
  • Issue =
    • Spa drains over night, maybe 2"-3" just about where pebble is exposed. I can hear clicking noise in the morning which I assume is check valve flapping and allowing water to flow from spa to pool(?) when pump is not running.
    • Pool contractor advised me that I can install 2nd check valve to fix this issue (see illustration1). I'm not a pool equipment expert, but I think the 2nd check valve would be only temporary fix, at least until spring tension of either check valve weakens over time. I could be wrong here.
  • Question =
    • Should I install 2nd check valve as suggested under current one?
    • Or re-route plumbing line and re-do check valve (see illustration2)?
    • Either option would be out of my pocket, so looking for least cost option
check valve illustration1.jpgIllustration1

check valve illustration2.jpgIllustration2

tsx,

Almost every pool pic I see has that same basic check valve in the same basic location.

It is most likely dirty or broken..

I don't see how adding another check valve below it is going to help..

I like Mayor's idea... Just replace the guts of the check valve..

Just to be clear.. That check valve allows water to flow down the pipe and to the spa, but should prevent any water from from the spa from going up the pipe.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Have you checked the flap in the check valve? Unscrew the clear lid and see if there's damage or debris stuck on the flap. If so it's easy to replace.
Thanks Mayorb, good question. Appreciate your input.

Initially I had pentair brand? which was worse. They replaced cover/flap on pentair unit few times, then they finally changed the whole unit to current version (I think Jandy brand). Unit is brand new and it's been like this day one.

Based on my research, I think check valve was installed wrong. They should be placed where water/gravity should keep flap closed.

To give credit to contractor, I think the 2nd check valve does make sense, but I'm not sure about longevity in the solution if I have to replace flap again for either units.

Attachments

• check valve illustration1.jpg
    check valve illustration1.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 9
  • check valve illustration2.jpg
    check valve illustration2.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 6
Thanks Jimrahbe, appreciate your view.
I'll unscrew the cap and check the flap to see if there's any debris, easy and worth checking again based on feedbacks.
Sounds like 2nd check valve may not be a common thing, good to know.

I would still put one at the red dot or between the pump and the filter.

That will give you extra security from water going backwards.

You can also check the three way valve on the returns if you suspect that the water is going through the returns.

Does the problem only happen in "Spillover" mode?

JamesW, thanks for your suggestion. I hadn't thought about Red-Dot location prior to valve position.

I'm not sure what I need to look for on three way valve on the returns, but I can do some research and check it out.

Sorry, don't know how to turn on/off Spillover mode. I don't recall seeing it in Omnilogic control screen. But I assume it is on Spillover mode since water goes over from spa to pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is one of your return lines with the blue valves a makeup line to the spa?
Yeap one line has to be a fountain to the spa floor or where ever . I find it hard to believe someone has changed the guts on a check valve more than once, then replumbed a new jandy check valve that still leaks. If he puts a check valve where james said to it wouldn't help this time. It would if that ol check valve is the problem but I don't think it is.
OP turn those blue ball valves off one at a time until you find the one thast returning to the spa. that is the one that needs a check valve. Or just leave it off.

If one of the lines goes to the spa, then why doesn't it have a check valve?

If one of the lines goes to the spa, the water would drain farther and faster.

Maybe one goes to the spa but it seems unlikely to me.

What is the normal position of the three-way valve on the returns?

What does each blue handle return line go to?

What mode does the automation run in?

Does the the water return to the pool only through the spa or does some return through the return lines?

What speed does the pump run?

"If one of the lines goes to the spa, then why doesn't it have a check valve?
If one of the lines goes to the spa, the water would drain farther and faster.
Maybe one goes to the spa but it seems unlikely to me"

Your right it makes no sense unless one line goes to the spa floor as a fountain. I guess he could turn off the pump and shut off those pool/spa returns with the three way jandy. If it leaks then it is the check valve. I'm just wondering why if true replacing the check valve guts then replumbing the check valve didnt stop the leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.