atxjmy512

Mar 19, 2022
Austin, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’ve been running freeze protect for the last couple of days with spa drain, spa return and cleaner valves open to circulate everything 24/7. We have not subsequently warmed up enough that freeze protect is no longer needed (maybe for a few hours tonight). This is my first time having to do this, so I’m sure what I’m noticing is normal but I can’t fully explain it I need some help.

When freeze protect automatically shut off an hour ago I noticed that my spa started draining into my pool even though the pump was off. The spa main drain valve was manually opened as part of my freeze protection preparation’s so I’m sure water was draining from the and somehow making its way into the pool through the returns. But I’m not sure how or why.

The spa main drain valve was manually opened as part of my freeze protection preparation’s so I’m sure water was draining from the and somehow making its way into the pool through the returns. But I’m not sure how or why.

Is your spa water level normally higher then your pool water level?

Water will always flow downhill and equalize. An open spa drain valve or spa return valve allows water to flow downhill into your pool. Sometimes there is a check valve in the spa drain or return to prevent water backflowing and that check valve can leak.

I’m sure water was draining from them and somehow making its way into the pool through the returns. But I’m not sure how or why.

They call it gravity... :mrgreen: Water always tries to seek its own level.

Having the valves out of their normal positions will cause the problem you are having.

After the freeze is over, put the valves back where they should be, and fill up the spa, and see if your problem goes away.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Is your spa water level normally higher then your pool water level?

Water will always flow downhill and equalize. An open spa drain valve or spa return valve allows water to flow downhill into your pool. Sometimes there is a check valve in the spa drain or return to prevent water backflowing and that check valve can leak.
Yes. The spa sits a good 2 or 3 ft higher than the pool. There’s a check valve on the returns. Doesn’t appear to be leaking. Frankly nothing appears to be leaking.
There is not a check valve on the the drain though, so that’s probably it.

They call it gravity... :mrgreen: Water always tries to seek its own level.

Having the valves out of their normal positions will cause the problem you are having.

After the freeze is over, put the valves back where they should be, and fill up the spa, and see if your problem goes away.

Thanks,

Jim R.
It did. I put them in their normal configuration and everything returned to normal. We’re dropping back into the 20s one last time tonight - so I think I’ll just keep it running until tomorrow.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.