SPA draining down to pool

ChandlerInFBGTX

Feb 15, 2024
Fredericksberg, TX
Hi guys,

New pool owner since 2022 and learning to do my own pool maintenance. I’ve had this issue about a year ago where the spa wouldn’t hold water when the pump was off and it would drain down to the pool level. I replaced check valves, and opened up the actuators and checked their locations but it looks like it’s happening again. I have attached a picture of my swimming, pool and my equipment. Yesterday it took less than 20 minutes for my spa to go from full to pool level. Do they make heavier duty Pentair spring loaded check valves? I have the type with eight screws and the spring loaded oval shaped flapper, I would think something that’s bigger. Would cover more surface area and block the spa water from getting to the poolside? In my research, it’s either going to be the check valve, flapper, or those electronic actuators. Any help would be appreciated because it is annoying To have this reoccur.

I’ve definitely learned to run the pump during the daytime to come back chlorine loss and allergies so thank you for that and I’ve rebuilt my Pentair 320 chlorinator and learned that it doesn’t work right if you fill the tabs all the way to the top.… So hoping to learn more. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3195.jpeg
    IMG_3195.jpeg
    560.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3197.jpeg
    IMG_3197.jpeg
    661 KB · Views: 29
Welcome to TFP.

You sure you have a Pentair check valve and not a Jandy check valve? They take different shaped flappers.

Have you replaced the check valve flapper now?

Did you a genuine OEM part?

How do I know if it is pentair or jandy? Most of this equipment is marked Pentair. The check valves themselves are the eight screw versions.. thanks
Jandy, Pentair, and Hayward check valves all have 8 screws

Each manufacture has different letters and numbers on the clear lid. Pentair lid says Pentair in clear letters in the middle of the lid. But if you already replaced the lid and flapper then you lost the markings.

Show us pictures of the top of the check valve.

Your old check valve said Pentair on it but your Amazon link was to a knockoff version.

I suggest you replace the valve with a genuine Pentair part.

Reactions: ChandlerInFBGTX
also, making sure I have my pentair intellivalve actuator for spa/pool combo in the correct spot. I have attached two photos for reference.

The diverter should be blocking the pool side return 100% for spa mode, correct?

And then to allow for the overspill in my spa, on pool mode, the diverter should be canned at an angle to allow 100% flow to the pool and 100% flow to the spa - in other words, the diverter goes to a dead spot on the inside wall of the 3 way pipe, correct?

This couldn’t have anything o do with the spa draining with pump off correct ? It’s these spring actuated check valves that are the culprit from letting water leave the spa and into the pool when pump off, right? Much appreicated

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpeg
    IMG_0478.jpeg
    690.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0477.jpeg
    IMG_0477.jpeg
    554.7 KB · Views: 7
You do not have an IntelliValve actuator. You have an old style Pentair CVA24 actuator.

I recommend you cam the actuator to close the SPA port fully when in pool mode. Then use SPILLWAY mode on your IntelliCenter and schedule your spa spillover to run two or three times a day for 15-20 minutes. You can manually turn on SPILLWAY other times when you want the spillover and adjust your pump speed for the spillover intensity.

You do not have an IntelliValve actuator. You have an old style Pentair CVA24 actuator.

I recommend you cam the actuator to close the SPA port fully when in pool mode. Then use SPILLWAY mode on your IntelliCenter and schedule your spa spillover to run two or three times a day for 15-20 minutes. You can manually turn on SPILLWAY other times when you want the spillover and adjust your pump speed for the spillover intensity.
Yes sir I will do that!

So, I am running my main Penatir IntelliFlo variable pump 9am-9pm. I also have a PENTAIR whisperflo high performance pump that is the “booster pump”. From what I can tell it provides the extra “oomph” to get a nice 360 spillover on my spa. Should I be scheduling this booster pump to run just as much as my main pump- or what should I be using this for and when? Thank you ajw22!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since summer of 2022, I had the schedule running 10pm -8am (previous owners had it this way to conserve energy I guess). But, with this schedule, I never had detectable chlorine levels in the Texas sun and a little algae. Hoping I can get my chlorine and everything staying right by moving the water around during peak, direct sunlight hours.

Yes sir I will do that!

So, I am running my main Penatir IntelliFlo variable pump 9am-9pm. I also have a PENTAIR whisperflo high performance pump that is the “booster pump”. From what I can tell it provides the extra “oomph” to get a nice 360 spillover on my spa. Should I be scheduling this booster pump to run just as much as my main pump- or what should I be using this for and when? Thank you ajw22!
I need to better understand how that booster pump is setup.

Show me pics of your equipment pad and plumbing.

How much spillover flow do you get with your main pump?

Having the spillover running continuously creates aeration which causes your pH to rise rapidly. That requires more frequent acid additions to lower the pH.

Since summer of 2022, I had the schedule running 10pm -8am (previous owners had it this way to conserve energy I guess). But, with this schedule, I never had detectable chlorine levels in the Texas sun and a little algae. Hoping I can get my chlorine and everything staying right by moving the water around during peak, direct sunlight hours.
Time for you to create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

What SWG do you have?

What % do you run it at?

What test kit do you use?

Post a complete set of water chemistry from your own test kit in the format..

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
SALT

Pool Care Basics Archives

I need to better understand how that booster pump is setup.

Show me pics of your equipment pad and plumbing.

How much spillover flow do you get with your main pump?

Having the spillover running continuously creates aeration which causes your pH to rise rapidly. That requires more frequent acid additions to lower the pH.
Here I am pointing directly at the booster pump. The 2 photos of the spillover in this post are with the booster on.. looks pretty nice, honestly would like a little more spill…

Attachments

• IMG_3200.jpeg
    IMG_3200.jpeg
    782.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3198.jpeg
    IMG_3198.jpeg
    779.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0488.jpeg
    IMG_0488.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 10
Time for you to create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

What SWG do you have?

What % do you run it at?

What test kit do you use?

Post a complete set of water chemistry from your own test kit in the format..

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
SALT

Pool Care Basics Archives
Sure thing, I will do this - especially given how helpful you are. Thank you

It looks to me like the Whisperflo pump is your spa jet pump.

Does the Whisperflo pump turn on and off when the spa jets turn on and off?

Your spillover has a large surface area which is why the water flow is slow. Nothing you can do about that with the design you have.

It looks to me like the Whisperflo pump is your spa jet pump.

Does the Whisperflo pump turn on and off when the spa jets turn on and off?

Your spillover has a large surface area which is why the water flow is slow. Nothing you can do about that with the design you have.
Does the Whisperflo pump turn on and off when the spa jets turn on and off? no sir. In my 3 attached photos you will see I turned on the SPA “mode” button and that simply changes the automatic diverter to divert water to SPA only (closing pool side) and automatically kicking on our propane Heater.

The Whisperflo only comes on when I hit AUX 1.

Please note, I have noticed that the whisperflo AND the air blower (I have a blower too) both keep the spa from heating up. Fastest way to heat the spa is with just the main pump and heater on.

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpeg
    IMG_0492.jpeg
    390.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0493.jpeg
    IMG_0493.jpeg
    549.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0494.jpeg
    IMG_0494.jpeg
    543.6 KB · Views: 3
It is not clear to me if the Whisperflo suction is pulling water from the pool or the spa?

It is not clear to me if the Whisperflo suction is pulling water from the pool or the spa?
Let me rephrase: when turning on the programmed “spa mode” on the control box, it simply diverts all water to return to the spa and kicks on the heater. That’s it.

The second pump, whisper flow, is not programmed to turn on. Currently it is auxiliary one and can manually be turned on by the push of a button, and yes, once the spa is heated up, we usually turn that on as it provides the appropriate jets for the hot tub.

We have a blower too and I guess the air blower just adds additional bubbles? I can definitely say the air blower counteract the heating of the hot tub.

Does that make more sense? Thank you so much —-thank you again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.