Spa Booster Pump single speed Max-E-Pro Moter needs to be replaced - is VS my only option now in CA?

Aug 4, 2008
I know there are energy savings with Variable Speed (VS) motors but I'm pretty sure the purpose of the Spa Booster pump is to run at a single speed (3450). Does it make sense to replace it with a VS motor if I'm just going to set it to a single speed? I suppose I could take advantage of the variable speeds, but it seems unnecessary for its purpose as a spa booster pump.

The current pump is a Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro P6E6E-206L. It has a 1.0 HP motor with a 1.65 SF (with a 48Y frame). The replacement Pentair motor is AE100EHL and I believe the replacement Century (AO Smith) motor is the SQ1102. However, from what I've read, I probably can't get a new single speed replacement motor in CA. If that's the case, other than refurbishing the motor, is a variable speed motor my only option for this booster pump?

If a VS motor is my only (or best option), which one should I get to be able to take advantage of the variable speeds through automation. I have a Pentair EasyTouch 8 with the latest Firmware and a Screen-Logic Interface. The EasyTouch seems to be able to support two Intelliflo/Intellipro pumps. I already have one for the main pool/spa pumps so there's room to add another one.

With all that said, what motor would you suggest I get to replace the Pentair AE100EHL motor?

I know there are energy savings with Variable Speed (VS) motors but I'm pretty sure the purpose of the Spa Booster pump is to run at a single speed (3450). Does it make sense to replace it with a VS motor if I'm just going to set it to a single speed? I suppose I could take advantage of the variable speeds, but it seems unnecessary for its purpose as a spa booster pump.

The current pump is a Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro P6E6E-206L. It has a 1.0 HP motor with a 1.65 SF (with a 48Y frame). The replacement Pentair motor is AE100EHL and I believe the replacement Century (AO Smith) motor is the SQ1102. However, from what I've read, I probably can't get a new single speed replacement motor in CA. If that's the case, other than refurbishing the motor, is a variable speed motor my only option for this booster pump?

If a VS motor is my only (or best option), which one should I get to be able to take advantage of the variable speeds through automation. I have a Pentair EasyTouch 8 with the latest Firmware and a Screen-Logic Interface. The EasyTouch seems to be able to support two Intelliflo/Intellipro pumps. I already have one for the main pool/spa pumps so there's room to add another one.

With all that said, what motor would you suggest I get to replace the Pentair AE100EHL motor?
Century EVQ165 with Century Connect should work with your automation. Be sure that it is labeled on the box, they first came out without that ability to interface directly with automation.
You might find someone with old stock single-speed motors (QC1102 is a better one) but they are not actually legal, neither in CA nor the USA. There's no enforcement on individual sales by service companies, so there's no telling what you might find if you call around. I won't do it, but some might.
All I hear is that none of the online retailers will ship a non-compliant motor to CA.

Reactions: geobrick
Thanks. I'll look at the EVQ165.
If I run the EVQ165 at the Same RPM as the SQ or QC1102, does it still save any energy. I would hope so for the price difference.
Also, what makes the QC1102 better than the SQ1102.
The difference from the Century pdf I have shows:
SQ1102: Volts 115/230, Max Amps 19.2/9.6, Length (AG) 13-1/8
QC1102: Volts 115/208-230, Max Amps: 16.0/8.0, Length (AG) 11-7/8
I suppose the lower max current means less heat. Is that what you mean?

SQ = 2304 watts. Capacitor start/induction run, 25% (=/-) more energy use than QC.
1713644459291.png
QC = 1920 watts. Capacitor start/capacitor run, more efficient.
1713644478689.png
Yes, less heat that goes off into the atmosphere that you don't have to pay for.
You pay by the kW so . . .

Reactions: geobrick