SP3400VSP Failed, need replacement recommendations

CFM56-7

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Feb 7, 2016
Gilbert/AZ
So the original pump was a single speed 1hp Hayward Super II Pump (per original pool order paperwork) that must have failed. The PPO swapped that failed pump for a new SP3400VSP that is supposedly rated to replace up to a 3 hp pump? I always ran it at 100% since I only use it for in floor cleaning while generating chlorine. I am looking for a single speed replacement, but am unsure about what hp to go with. The SP3400VSP on 100% gives me around 20psi at the filter when clean with everything open. This always seemed a bit high for me, but flow was less than ideal. The far side pool returns were fairly week compared to the pump side returns. I am getting around 20psi per cleaning station with my Caretaker 99 in floor cleaner, which seems adequate.

Anyway, I have a dedicated 1hp pump for three water features and a 1 hp pump for spa jets. How much horsepower would be required to replace the capability of the SP3400VSP? I am specifically looking at a single speed Desert rated Hayward TriStar. If the original was most likely a 1hp, would a bump to 1.5hp be beneficial? Do I need 3 hp?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

CFM

If you want to match the perform between two pumps, you must compare the head curves of both pumps. HP tells you little about the performance of a pump.

But what failed in the SP3400VSP? The drive?

You can just replace the motor (and seal) but you need one with a THP (label HP * service factor) of at least 2.7 and you need to use the same frame. This one should work:

A.O. Smith 2 H.P Square Flange Full Rate Motor - SQ1202 - INYOPools.com

The EcoStar motor and drive sits on a TriStar wet end so they are compatible.

You can downsize the impeller too if you want something smaller but with most in-floor cleaners, you want close to 20 PSI for the heads to work properly. Also if you downsize the pump, the spa jets will be weak. One suggestion is to go with a 2 speed motor so that when you are not using the in-floors and not the spa, you can run on low speed and save some energy.

A.O. Smith 2 H.P Square Flange Dual Speed Full Rate Motor - SQS1202R - INYOPools.com

It costs a bit more but you will probably make up the difference quickly in energy savings.

Thanks for the response Mark! The pump displays "DRIVE ERROR! Pump has stalled". Another thread on TFP seems to indicate that this error code, along with a freely spinning impeller, is probably caused by a failed drive controller which is currently $585 on Amazon. Given this units lousy reputation, I am ready to replace it with something more reliable.

I have a dedicated spa jet pump on its own circuit. When using the spa, the main pump that failed would be responsible for water heater circulation, but nothing more.

Ok, so I need to research head curves huh? I don't want to reduce overall pressure as I am close to the minimum for the in floor cleaner. In your experience, if I did a 2.5hp TriStar, do you think it would put out a similar head pressure or do I really need to do the full 3 hp?

Again, thanks for the input!
CFM

Ok, so I need to research head curves huh? I don't want to reduce overall pressure as I am close to the minimum for the in floor cleaner.
Not necessarily. See below.

In your experience, if I did a 2.5hp TriStar, do you think it would put out a similar head pressure or do I really need to do the full 3 hp?
Again, you cannot judge a pump by the label HP. The EcoStar is actually a 2.7 THP pump and not a 3 HP pump. As I stated earlier, to get to THP, you have to multiply the label HP x service factor. The 2.5 HP TriStar (TriStar SP3220X25) has a service factor of 1.08 so it has a THP of 2.7 which is exactly the same as the EcoStar. Also, if you compare the head curves, they are identical. In fact, the wet end of the TriStar is exactly the same as the EcoStar. They use the same housing, diffuser, and impeller. This is why I suggested, just replacing the motor of the EcoStar with a single or dual speed motor which will result in the same pump as the TriStar.

All right! That all makes excellent sense. Just a couple questions before I place an order. I see Total HP and Rated HP. I assume the Rated HP is used to calculate THP?

In keeping with Hayward parts, how do you like this motor for my situation? https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX3...targid=pla-311221961683&psc=1#customerReviews

And finally, with a motor swap, is it typically ok to reuse all associated seals or should those be replaced as well.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I see that is Total Head Pressure, not Horsepower....

Rated hp is usually the label HP I referred to earlier. To get to THP, you have to multiply by the service factor.

The motor you posted is not made by Hayward. It is a century motor which is the same manufacture as the motor I posted. Hayward does not make motors. It just rebadges other manufacture motors.

You should replace the seals when replacing motors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.