SP2303VSP Noises

Kwhite04

Apr 27, 2020
Ocoee, FL
Hey all,

I recently returned from vacation and my Hayward VSP had an orange "check system" notification. I figured maybe a thunderstorm knocked out power for something minute, but when I turned the pump on for a quick clean it was making a strange noise. I cleaned out the basket and also checked the impeller with a screwdriver to see if I felt any debris in there, which I did not. I bought this house a few years ago so it is at least 4 years old.

Video: cb2b0a2d-aea4-40e3-93cb-6c163879a5d2

Any simple fixes I'm missing or am I out of luck? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20231008_131535_resized.jpg
    20231008_131535_resized.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231008_131528_resized.jpg
    20231008_131528_resized.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231011_182111_resized_1.jpg
    20231011_182111_resized_1.jpg
    757.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231011_182116_resized_1.jpg
    20231011_182116_resized_1.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231011_182108_resized_1.jpg
    20231011_182108_resized_1.jpg
    676 KB · Views: 15
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Was the pump already off when you returned from vacation? It may have run dry for a while and overheated, especially if the basket and/or skimmer were full of debris. Do you use a skimmer sock? I noticed the pump pot is dry when you tried turning it on, and we can definitely hear the rubbing sound. Does water get pulled at all out of the pump pot (towards the filter) if you fill it with water before turning it on? I would be curious to know if the pump even pulls water.

Hey @Texas Splash , thanks for the quick response! Believe it or not, the pump pot is full in the video and is pulling water. I had primed it prior to the video so it is a bit difficult to tell that there is water in there. I do not use a skimmer sock. The pump was in a state of "check system" orange light, so it could have shut itself off in theory, but I am not quite sure. I would be surprised if it ran dry because the pool level was totally fine when I returned from vacation. There is a possibility the level dropped and then refilled without me realizing since it was a span of 2 weeks, however.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Good to hear the pot was actually so full that it looked clear. Hard to know exactly what was the reason for the audible sound changes. Overheating was my initial theory, but interesting it was full of water when you returned. :scratch: Perhaps something odd resulting from that storm. Something to watch for sure.

No signs of water drips from the pump? Do you have a digital thermometer to check the motor casing temperature?

Do we think it's a bad bearing?
Very possible, or early signs of moisture effecting the bearing(s). If you are handy with tools, best to pull that motor from the pump pot wet end and inspect. You may also need to replace the shaft seal which is a common leak area. They sell "Go-Kits" for many of today's pumps that have everything together.

Had a guy come out and tell me to replace with a Jandy VSP for $2500 installed.

I ripped the pump apart and could not get the top fan off of the motor. I wonder if I just replace the motor if that would do the trick? Does everyone recommend the V Green? I'm having a hard time understanding what my pump is. I'm starting to think that it has had a motor replacement in the past (I've only had it for 3.5ish years). The pump says Max Flo but then I see Tri Star and then Century, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help!

If my online searching has been correct, I'm thinking this is a 1:1 swap with the GO-KIT85V.

Century Electric ECM16SQU - VGreen165 Variable Speed Pool Pump Motor - 48Y Frame - Square Flange - 1.65 HP - 230 Volt (Only)

I was having a brutal time getting the impeller off but if I have the other pump on standby I'll be a little more harsh with it.

Is there a better motor that you would recommend @1poolman1?
That's a great, though no-longer-made, motor. I used it on those pumps several times. Problem is that you would need to install timeclock to make it run the times you want. A better option would be the Nidec Neptune NPTQ 165. It has a similar control to what you are used to and no need for an additional timeclock. They work well on your pump, too.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is super helpful, thanks @1poolman1!

When you say no-longer-made, do you mean new? Is the link I sent for a motor that has been refurbished? Here is the Inyo pools link in case that is a more trusted online retailer:

https://www.inyopools.com/Products/...mRDBZNGCG3p3fnFIbOzJKvs-NhGOIYbxaF9HmBCSHBvG0

I will look into this Nidec Neptune NPTQ 165, especially if it's a simple swap. Looking at this online retailer: link
ECM16SQU is a motor that is no longer made. There are still some in distribution. You would need a timeclock for control. It is as easy to replace the motor with one as the other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.