Southern CA New IG pool: Steel framing complete

He said it "You don't want to be looking at the open gaping hole...not a clean design"
So that leaves you with classy vs. more functional. I would have spread the two out on the house-side wall but but he’s already dug one (not a dealbreaker though). If you also oppose the opposite wall, I’d say on the left wall somewhere. But I do agree. I have two and would be sick with just one. We have two dogs that swim and the hair is voluminous in the skimmer hairnets.

Just from a heat perspective, travertine and Kool Deck or similar like Kim said, are the coolest. Stamped concrete is hot and often slippery. People will say you can add a grit to help with the slippery issue, but I’ve not found that effective. Our stained concrete is faded, so the stain that was making it slippery is gone. So it’s fine but looks less beautiful. In this case I’ve chosen functionality over looks.

Sun sail is an interesting option for privacy for you as mentioned. Could be both functional and attractive. Or a pavilion. But obviously that’s a bigger commitment. I’m not up on you region’s flora for natural suggestions to create privacy without alarming the neighbor with something that grows 50’ and kills her view. Nice of you to consider her. You could ask her to keep her blinds drawn??? Ha!

So that leaves you with classy vs. more functional. I would have spread the two out on the house-side wall but but he’s already dug one (not a dealbreaker though). If you also oppose the opposite wall, I’d say on the left wall somewhere. But I do agree. I have two and would be sick with just one. We have two dogs that swim and the hair is voluminous in the skimmer hairnets.

Just from a heat perspective, travertine and Kool Deck or similar like Kim said, are the coolest. Stamped concrete is hot and often slippery. People will say you can add a grit to help with the slippery issue, but I’ve not found that effective. Our stained concrete is faded, so the stain that was making it slippery is gone. So it’s fine but looks less beautiful. In this case I’ve chosen functionality over looks.

Sun sail is an interesting option for privacy for you as mentioned. Could be both functional and attractive. Or a pavilion. But obviously that’s a bigger commitment. I’m not up on you region’s flora for natural suggestions to create privacy without alarming the neighbor with something that grows 50’ and kills her view. Nice of you to consider her. You could ask her to keep her blinds drawn??? Ha!
Thx for your reply! The PB is recommending a sandblasted concrete. Not sure how it feels on feet. I'm going to try and find a 'white w/hints of grey' stone. Do you think a dark concrete would be a mistake? Thought it would contrast nicely with a whitish stone.

For the patio, It is a major investment so I would make a huge effort to see some previous work from whoever will be doing you job. Try to see the exact surface you will be choosing that is several years old and get a reference from the homeowner.

As for the skimmer. Have you determined the direction of the prevailing winds? Any other neighbors pools you can ask if there debris is always in a certain part of the pool? As far as being able to see the skimmer from the house, I would rather look at that, as opposed to the junk on the top of the pool. A poorly chosen skimmer location or lack of a second skimmer "MIGHT" cause you to be running your pump a lot more just to keep the top clean.

I agree with Rich. Skimmers aren't ugly to look at, it's just a black hole in the waterline of your pool. Debris doesn't poke out or anything. Besides, like Rich said, I'd rather see the skimmer than a clump of debris slowly floating by on its way to your single skimmer!

Agreed .. I wish I had 2. It really boils down to prevailing winds and how much junk you will actually get in the pool. If you have neighbors with pools I would ask them.

I would recommend getting a roll of 4" flex pipe from home depot and piping those gutter downspouts to somewhere other than the excavation. It is a little early to start putting water in the pool... :)
Hi Rich- I went and asked each neighbor around me and all but one has one skimmer. The one with two has a pool double the size of the rest of us. My PB lives across the street and he also has one skimmer and assures me I only need one.

As for the downspouts, the Hardscape co will be connecting it to my drainage pipes in a few weeks. I'm in So Cal.... I've heard about this clear liquid that occasionally falls from the sky but have rarely witnessed it. ;-)

I agree with Rich. Skimmers aren't ugly to look at, it's just a black hole in the waterline of your pool. Debris doesn't poke out or anything. Besides, like Rich said, I'd rather see the skimmer than a clump of debris slowly floating by on its way to your single skimmer!
Yesterday it was windy and I noticed the winds were coming into direction of skimmer...which is a good thing. Having said that, not sure that's the only direction they will be coming from in future. Also, I'm planning on doing a zeriscape yard so should have a lot of debris coming from the yard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I'll ck out travertine option. The sun sail would require some poles be put up as I don't have anything to attach to from other side of house. Not sure my HOA would allow that but will ask...it's a good idea, thank you!

PB said I need to give him any final change orders by tomorrow 8AM. I've been busy looking at decking/layouts that I haven't paid attn to the equipment and plumbing. If anyone is able to provide any feedback by 8AM tomorrow morning (Wed), I would GREATLY appreciate it.
Questions:
A- Current equipment - Should I change anything? I don't know how many gallons my pool is but it's 34 x (16 & 17) (two sizes due to geometric design)
1. Filter: Jandy DEV series 60 SF DE
2. Pump: Jandy JEP ePump (Variable) 1.5 HP variable (Is this big enough? Read lots of posts on getting one 2 or 3 times needed...but not sure how to calculate)
3. Pool Heater: Jandy LXI 400,000 BTU
4. Auto fill line
5. Auto Chlorinator
6. Spa Booster Pump 1.5 HP ($4.6K...is this price about right? Seems high to me) - This gives me a total of 14 jets ( 6 + 8)

7. SWG - $1.9K
8. Automation (Jandy Aqualink)
9. Four Bubblers - They are on a separate pump and cost $5K. (Does this $ seem right?)
10. Three LED pool lights and One spa light
11. One skimmer/4 returns

B- Plumbing - Anything to ask for other that 2.5" pipes and separate returns for water feature? I saw something about the equipment pad and painting pipes and keeping them off the pad? Can someone help explain what that means/why?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Last edited:
Hi Rich- I went and asked each neighbor around me and all but one has one skimmer. The one with two has a pool double the size of the rest of us. My PB lives across the street and he also has one skimmer and assures me I only need one.
Nice job with your home work. That would make me feel comfortable with just the one skimmer.

As for the downspouts, the Hardscape co will be connecting it to my drainage pipes in a few weeks. I'm in So Cal.... I've heard about this clear liquid that occasionally falls from the sky but have rarely witnessed it. ;-)
Wow... Must be nice to know you don't need to worry about heavy rains from a scheduling point of view. It sounds like you made a good choice with a water feature. At least you can create your own rain now.. :)

I saw something about the equipment pad and painting pipes and keeping them off the pad?

I really cant comment on the equipment but the pipes get painted to protect them from the sun and it just gives a professional look to the build. It is those types of little things that let you know your PB has pride in his work.

You just want to make sure that they don't pour a pad around the pipes that come out of the ground in case you need to fix a pipe or re-arrange your plumbing for a additional feature or even to just replace a existing piece of equipment.

@Jimrahbe can you help with the equipment?

To me that IS a high price for the jets and pump but have nothing to base that on.

Make sure you equipment pad is big enough so you don't have to play twister to work on anything. Many make the pads too small.

You want a light by your equipment pad. You will thank me the first time you have to go out there at night.

Valves-they should be the good one made by penter or such. NO ball valves from the box stores. Never lube ones that can be rebuilt.

A hose bib right there to help clean the filter with.

Kim:kim:

Automation: Qlink looks like a typo. Jandy's top system is Aqualink RS. You need to seriously discuss your expectations and his on this system. There are numerous options with it. I'm not an expert but know that automation can be complicated and needs to be discussed in detail so it does what you expect. Here's a link to some documentation (scroll to the bottom). I found the one titled Aqualink Automation Selection Guide to very informative, if not overwhelming.

Spa booster pump: I'm assuming that line is referring to your whole spa, including equipment. Clearly that price is not just for equipment related to the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.