Southern Alabama pool season over with?

Depends on where you are in Alabama. Our water temp is still in the 80's and even though this week has been cool we'll have some warmer days before long. Our water temps won't get to 60ºF until the middle to end of November.

Bama Rambler said:
Depends on where you are in Alabama. Our water temp is still in the 80's and even though this week has been cool we'll have some warmer days before long. Our water temps won't get to 60ºF until the middle to end of November.

We are in Fairhope. East side of the bay little south of Mobile.

When you are done for the season do you keep it up and have the pump running? or close it for a few months?

Thanks

I'm just a bit north of Mobile. I left it open all year last year but it's a hassle trying to keep it clean, so this year I plan on partially closing it when the water temp is below 70ºF. I figure that'll be December thru March.

By partially closing I mean I'm going to cover it and keep the pump running on a timer in early morning hours mostly to prevent freezing damage (not that it's a big concern here).

Since I have a liquidator, keeping the FC up isn't a concern and I can pull a test sample off the suction line before the LQ connection for weekly testing. I also have an insulated equipment shed so the only plumbing exposed to the elements is the piping where it comes out of the ground going to the skimmer and return.

Pool season lasts till it's cold enough no-one wants to get it ;)

Honestly, esp in the Southern climes, "closing" the pool seems to invite problems. Chemical balance can get out of wack, motors seize, etc. I suggest turn the pump runtime down to a couple hours a day, keep the water cleaned (manual or automatic skim & vac) and check the water 1xweek or so for pH and chlorine. Then it stays lookin' good all winter, and no hassles 'opening' the pool in the summer: just dive in when it warms up! IMHO....

cheers

acroy said:
motors seize, etc.
Thats not true. Ask the thousands that close their pool every fall. The chems dont get that far out of whack either. I close mine every year and open to clear water and near perfect TA and pH, and even 1-2 ppm of FC.
Keeping a pool open year round is fine, but closing one down doesnt do that much to one if you do it properly.

bk406 said:
acroy said:
motors seize, etc.
Thats not true. Ask the thousands that close their pool every fall. The chems dont get that far out of whack either. I close mine every year and open to clear water and near perfect TA and pH, and even 1-2 ppm of FC.
Keeping a pool open year round is fine, but closing one down doesnt do that much to one if you do it properly.

as I said, IMHO - we can also ask the thousands of pool owners who do have issues every spring opening up - or just watch this board for all the issues! and motors certianly can and do seize up from lack of use and the local fauna building colonies in there...

North of Houston and I don't close. It is just too pretty to cover, really.

I keep it tended all winter. Test chems, clean skimmers and pump baskets and Polaris bag. Keep water level right. Freeze protection program in place for Aqualink system, not sure what it does but filter and waterfall come on near freezing temps. Not sure about Polaris, maybe it comes on too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.