Southeast Texas Here!

scmichael79

May 18, 2020
Houston, TX
Hey there all! I am about to have construction started on my first pool???. It will be in ground gunite approx 15k gallon pool/ spa. I am getting in all my water care research now! I apologize I don’t quite understand all the acronyms, terms and lingo yet...but I am trying. I am super pumped about this and nervous. I’m not a math/ chemistry guy AT ALL...but I am a quick study and read a lot on things I want to learn. The TFP way of maintaining a pool is definitely for me! I’m a big “stick it to the man” guy and now the pool store is “the man”. Haha! If you bare with me and deal with my lack of knowledge, I will be enjoying a TFP with the rest of you soon.

Attachments

• B37863EE-C619-4F4C-85C1-97E05372040D.jpeg
    B37863EE-C619-4F4C-85C1-97E05372040D.jpeg
    389.4 KB · Views: 6
Trying to understand all the chemicals....
That's the thing - they're aren't that many chemicals to be aware of.

- Liquid chlorine - unless you are having a salt water chlorine generator installed along with it. Then you'll need salt.
- Muriatic acid to lower pH, or Soda ash to raise it.
- Calcium if your fill water is soft (i.e. Calcium Hardness is low)
- CYA/Stabilizer

I'm sure others will chime in but that's all I can think of.

Last edited:
That's the thing - they're aren't that many chemicals to be aware of.

- Liquid chlorine - unless you are having a salt water chlorine generator installed along with it. Then you'll need salt.
- Muriatic acid to lower pH, or Soda ash to raise it.
- Calcium if your fill water is soft (i.e. Calcium Hardness is high)
- CYA/Stabilizer

I'm sure others will chime in but that's all I can think of.
Nice to know because those are the ones I seem to be remembering and learning the most about.

I also read through the Pool School water chemistry articles early on in our build process, and after a few months forgot everything and had to reread all over again. I would suggest not worrying too much about that part until you're a few days from the fill, then you can order your test kit and go through the articles.

Reactions: scmichael79