South Florida patio pool spiders

Aug 9, 2017
Sunrise, FL
Hello,

i was just wondering if people have the same issues elsewhere besides south florida with these nasty patio screen pool spiders? I have lived in many places in south florida and no matter where it was, if it had a screened patio, these spiders would over run the enclosure with their webs and egg sacs.

IMG_0514.jpg

They get into every corner and lay multiple egg sacs in strings that hang down. The ones that are away from the pool surface I usually just use a broom and mop them away but the beams that cross over the pool get infested. I dont want to blast them with a pressure cleaner and have them fall into the pool. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to manage this infestation?

Reactions: Kay5432250
Shop vac?

My front door light attracts bugs of all sorts all night... I don't know how to discourage them and its a nuisance to have to constantly clean the doorway. And embarrassing when guests come and I haven't done so. So I feel for ya. :(

Maddie :flower:

Maddie, I heard that LED bulbs don't attract bugs like the incandescent bulbs do. Give it a try.

njneer, you could try the can spray of insect killer, some sprays will last up to 30 days. I would spray on a weekly basis.

Finally found the name of the spider. It’s called the Spiny Orb Weaver. Huge pita in South Florida patios.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qOU1Z

I called Orkin pest control and inquired about treatment. They said the chemicals they use wouldnt hurt the pool. They are literally going to have to spray every square inch of my screen, even over the pool. Anyone have knowledge about pesticides and pools? Should I be concerned if some gets in the pool? Any types I should avoid? Thanks

These spiders are awful and are indeed pervasive in screened-in pools in South Florida. That being said, as much of a pain as they are to clean up, I couldn’t stomach the thought of someone spraying pesticides up into the air (onto the screen) all around/over my pool...

buy the ortho home 1-gal spray...spiders don't fly to the cross bars or top, they crawl from bottom-up somewhere...so, first clean-up all of the webs/eggs. etc..then spray along the entire bottom where columns and screens meet ground. Since your screens are not water proof, you will have to be the judge if after rain re-applications warrants doing it again vs tolerating them? By spraying bottom areas, you avoid pool water/other. also, you should not have to spray every sq inch of your screen. That's absurd, overkill and costly. I have a 100 acre ranch and buy this product for 8-9 bucks...best value out there and it works well...

As shingles says, I don't spray in the upper parts of country porch bc their webs catch all types of flying insects, esp mosquitos..much better than being bit by mosquitos -good luck

Thanks tstex, I’ll give that a try next time. I had a local pest company come out and they sprayed for me this time. I was also pleasantly suprised to see that the technician cleaned all the existing webs off the entire enclosure. Didnt expect that at all. If anyone is looking for a reliable pest control company in Broward County, look up Gregory’s pest control. Good price and quality service.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.