Oct 8, 2021
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all!
In the process of purchasing a home with a pool. The pool has not been used in about 2 years. I've read a few articles so far on here, and I'm sure we can tackle this ourselves. So far, all I know is; it's vinyl and it's full of green water. I hear that's a good sign! Closing is at the end of the month. Happy to be here.

Welcome to TFP! 😀👍
I suggest you peruse through pool school while waiting on your closing to learn some of the terms and get a basic idea of what needs to be done. It can be overwhelming at first, but you have the experts here to guide you and once your a few weeks along you will find that taking care of your pool is quite easy, nearly boring even!

once you close, order your own test kit and add your pool information to your signature similar to mine.
See test kits compared link in my signature.

Then post the results so the experts can guide you on your next steps. I also would read up on slamming, which is what you will need to do to turn your green pool into a crystal clear oasis, once the experts see your test results and have you make any changes needed.

Good Luck!😀

Congrats on the new pool with a house. Like mentioned go ahead and order your test kit and might start noticing which stores have liquid chlorine around you. Sounds like you will need a few gallons soon.
Our first house had a pool and we paid to have it inspected. Turned out the “ pool guy” was their friend and missed a lot of stuff like a cracked diving board and leaking pump!

Welcome to TFP! 😀👍
I suggest you peruse through pool school while waiting on your closing to learn some of the terms and get a basic idea of what needs to be done. It can be overwhelming at first, but you have the experts here to guide you and once your a few weeks along you will find that taking care of your pool is quite easy, nearly boring even!

once you close, order your own test kit and add your pool information to your signature similar to mine.
See test kits compared link in my signature.

Then post the results so the experts can guide you on your next steps. I also would read up on slamming, which is what you will need to do to turn your green pool into a crystal clear oasis, once the experts see your test results and have you make any changes needed.

Good Luck!😀
Thanks for the advice!

The SLAM method is what first guided me here. I saw it mentioned a few times on some fb groups for pool owners. I will keep reading up the technique used. I can't tell the pool depth yet (it has a nice safety cover), but I measured the sides and it's 18X40.
I can't wait to get started. My first steps will be removing debris, figurie out the filter and check pH.

Glad to have found this community and can't wait to get going. Who knows what's down there🤔

Congrats on the new pool with a house. Like mentioned go ahead and order your test kit and might start noticing which stores have liquid chlorine around you. Sounds like you will need a few gallons soon.
Our first house had a pool and we paid to have it inspected. Turned out the “ pool guy” was their friend and missed a lot of stuff like a cracked diving board and leaking pump!
Thank you!
I think I will order the test kit now. Wouldn't hurt. Worst case, I can give it to my parents who own a lovely salt water pool. Wish I have paid more attention to it other than cleaning! Haha.

I hear you on the inspection situation. You can't always trust the source, right? We didn't have any inspections on the pool. I'm guessing there's staining and all the equipment needs replacing. I'm prepared to have a nice flat yard if the pool itself needs to go.

We will see!

• Haha
Reactions: markayash
Thank you!
I think I will order the test kit now. Wouldn't hurt. Worst case, I can give it to my parents who own a lovely salt water pool. Wish I have paid more attention to it other than cleaning! Haha.

I hear you on the inspection situation. You can't always trust the source, right? We didn't have any inspections on the pool. I'm guessing there's staining and all the equipment needs replacing. I'm prepared to have a nice flat yard if the pool itself needs to go.

We will see!
Should be good hopefully, I had sticker shock when I had to buy a diving board! Thinking it was around $400 and that was 20 years ago

Reactions: vcords4755