Something not right

Apr 25, 2017
Tucson
I am house sitting for someone and their pool is not right. They have a pool guy so they think all is fine. It appears that the pump is running, but there is no water in the pump and there is no motion in the pool. However, there is water leaking out of the filter and the pressure gauge is flickering a bit. The pool equipment is below the pool. The pool stays nice and clean. He has nothing to measure pool chemistry, so I just ordered some test equipment. I want to run it by you before I do something to mess it up.

I figure the leaking filter is from the water pressure in the pool. I know my pump will not run when there is no water in it so I can't figure that part out.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3480.jpeg
    IMG_3480.jpeg
    463.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3483.jpeg
    IMG_3483.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3484.jpeg
    IMG_3484.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3487.jpeg
    IMG_3487.jpeg
    511.4 KB · Views: 39
John,

Are you sure???

The water under the pump lid can look pretty clear and fool ya.

The filter pressure gauge is way up there. My guess is about 40 or so.

I could be full of Bull Feathers, but it appears to me that the pump is working, and the filter is just clogged.

I suggest that you backwash the sand filter and see what happens,

Thanks,

Jim R.

John,

Are you sure???

The water under the pump lid can look pretty clear and fool ya.

The filter pressure gauge is way up there. My guess is about 40 or so.

I could be full of Bull Feathers, but it appears to me that the pump is working, and the filter is just clogged.

I suggest that you backwash the sand filter and see what happens,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,

I went down again to check the water and you are right. I cannot see any movement and there are no bubbles (my equipment is above the pool and this equipment is below so that may explain it). I tried to remove the top of the pump to check for water and I cannot get it off.

The pressure on the filter is 7 pounds. There are three inlets to the pool. The flow is so minimal that you cannot really feel anything, but I think there is a slight amount of water coming out. I do not know if the pump can be set to deliver more water or if there is something in the system blocking the flow.

I will check the chemistry next.

Thanks for your help.

John,

That pump appears to be an old IntelliFlo pump that is controlled by an automation system.

I suspect the pump is just running at a low RPM.

Do you see any automation system?

Does it have any kind of control panel or remote?

Thanks,

Jim R.

There are valve actuators showing in the pictures. So there is some kind of system that controls them. The timer you show would not do that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.