Something Broke off my Pentair Dynamo Pump...

aarogb

Apr 15, 2020
Sanford, NC
Hi Everyone,

I went out to try and backwash my pool this morning after some heavy rains we've had I couldn't get the water to suck up to backwash... So then I tried filtering and couldn't get anything going there either...

I started looking around and I noticed that a small piece that the clear top of the pool pump holds on to has snapped:

IMG_0271.jpg

I am thinking it snapped because this thing stays full of water and we've had some heavy freeze the past couple of nights.

I am guessing it wasn't backwashing or filtering because there obviously wasn't an airtight seal.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Is this going to be expensive? I don't think super glue is going to fix this...

Thanks

Aaron

Appears you need a new strainer housing. See the link above.

Appears you need a new strainer housing. See the link above.

Thank you!

Do you think it broke from the water freezing and expanding in the strainer? Or from something else? I want to avoid it breaking in the future. My pool is less than two years old.

Unless the water in the strainer froze solid, I would doubt that would do it. You should not have to tighten the strainer cover that tight. Do you lubricate the gasket each time you take the cover off? Only hand tighten the cover?

You should be using freeze protection or leaving your pump running on nights the temperature will drop below freezing.

Unless the water in the strainer froze solid, I would doubt that would do it. You should not have to tighten the strainer cover that tight. Do you lubricate the gasket each time you take the cover off? Only hand tighten the cover?

You should be using freeze protection or leaving your pump running on nights the temperature will drop below freezing.

No I don't lubricate the gasket every time I take it off and yes I only hand tighten the cover. Thank you for the tip about leaving the pump running when it's going to drop below freezing. I'll start doing that.

Thanks

Aaron

Single speed Pentair pumps have a 1 year warranty, as long as installed by a Professional.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK everyone,

I'm going to buy the strainer housing to replace the old one. But I am going to need some help to go about doing this. Attached are some pictures of what my set up looks like:

IMG_0286.jpgIMG_0287.jpgIMG_0288.jpgIMG_0289.jpg

It looks like it's threaded on both sides of the strainer housing. I realize I will probably have to take the entire pump off the base to get the strainer housing undone so I can replace it.

What I really would like to avoid is having to cut the PVC due to PVC cement... But I am not sure if that's possible because there are no unions... I was watching one YouTube video showing where the guy was able to unscrew it because it was just teflon tape... Hopefully that's my situation...

Anybody got any ideas where to start/the right way to do this?

Thanks

Aaron

Order a set of pump unions that fit your pump and PVC. Install them on the suction and return side of the pump.

Those are an example. Be sure to get the ones sized for your pump connection and PVC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.