Kingsport, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Good morning. We purchased our home recently and this is our first time owning or maintaining a pool. Heck, I hadn't been in a pool in years before now. At any rate, we are happy to have the pool open, decent numbers (per our TF-100 pool test kit), and learning a lot. I have read enough now to know there are some overall problems with our setup, but was hoping to get through our first season with only taking care of the "have-tos" and later improve things.

Unfortunately we have some suction side air leaks. For the moment, we have wrapped these with silicon tape and seem to be getting by. But now I have some pressure side leaks that are losing some water. I have attached a picture of our pad setup. I'm sure it is not ideal, and we knew nothing about pools to start with. The house has had some just getting by type work all around, so not surprising there are some problems showing up.

There is a pressure side leak which is concerning me at the moment. It is is occurring after the red handled valve going to returns. I am reading through the PVC repair info now. I have done very little plumbing. Is there any quick fix I could maybe do at that area until I have more time on the weekend to work on the real repairs? I am not sure if the leak is just below the valve, or at the 90, or both. For the moment and to get us by for this season, my thinking is to replace the section with the red handled return valve and not worry with it or the 2 solar line connections. Down the road I know I need to fix more.

Notes about the image:
We are not using the Pressure Side Cleaner; the Polaris unit did not come with the house. We will likely buy an automatic pool cleaner down the road once other expenses settle down (still working on old house to sell it). There is an old heater that is not plumbed and the previous owner said there is a leak in the copper line. We are not using the 2 lines marked for solar either. The Garage Sink Drain does not connect near the SWG - just bad picture angle. There is a downward facing 90 just behind the SWG.

Thank you for your help! I'm happy to have found TFP in my first season!

Attachments

• IMG_0150 - Copy.jpeg
    IMG_0150 - Copy.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 14
Try getting some rubberized plumbing tape and wrap those joints well. I've used it on leaky connections under my sink to buy time to make proper repairs. You stretch the tape as you apply it to make a good seal. If that works for you then when you are able to leave the pump off for 24 hours you can try sealing all the pipe joints with silicone and letting it dry. Then when time and money are aligned you can redo your plumbing and valves.

Thanks for the advice, zea3. We'll give it a go and see what we can get going. It's definitely been an adventure to learn about all these new things. Thanks!

Reactions: zea3
@zea3 your advice worked for me. I already had some left over after wrapping some of the fittings on the MD connection before the valve, but didn't think about it for the pressure side. I will do a better job on it soon to buy me a bit more time. There are so many things that need tending to at the moment and I'm happy to be generating chlorine! I'll do some more research and come up with some thoughts, and then start a new thread for recommendations on the plumbing layout.

Thanks!

Reactions: zea3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.