Some questions for the plumbing experts

jza1736

Silver Supporter
Apr 21, 2017
Greenlawn, NY
I have some questions for the plumbing experts. I made sure when I was PB shopping that the pool would get 2 skimmers and 4 returns. So now the plumbing is 99% done and I only see 3 returns and the stair jets.

1. Do the 2 stair jets count as a return?

2. the stair jets are plumbed seperately. The 3 returns are all plumbed with 1 2" line. Is that ok?

3. There is a conduit that goes into the dirt and goes 90° towards the pool. But does not go in. The other end is labeled MD. I'm assuming main drain? Is that correct?
6e37be8a6d98b2aa91cf0f741c19da14.jpg
4ea0ffc91675601d99534badf98fb964.jpg
d78022e7ff489a648fba25da809d3f62.jpg
1c758458e0b09679e2a24338eb844850.jpg

I am not a plumbing expert. I have 2 skimmers a MD or main drain and 4 returns.

I would count the stair jets as a return and it is nice that they have their own line. All my returns have their own valve and dedicated line. I'm assuming that is the "best practice" but not sure. I also have a water fall that is on it's own valve and line.

The jet is considered a return and you'll be glad he plumped that one to a dedicated line.

the 3 other returns connected together is OK I guess. A LOT if not most of PB's do that, but not the BEST way to do it. Depending on the flow of your pump, how long the pipes are, and other things, you might experience considerably different water flow from each of the eyeballs at the pool wall.

The best way to do it would to plumb each return with it's own dedicated line. This would allow you the most flexibility to get good water circulation. And also if one ever sprung a leak, you could just close the valve or cap that line off until you got around to fixing it.

the one labeled MD is for the Main Drain. There are two ways for it to be plumbed.
1) its own dedicated line back to the pump (the best way) and it looks like he did that.
2), the MD pipe is plumbed back to one of the conduit holes in the bottom of the skimmer which you would most likely later regret.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.