SOLVED! Pentair MasterTemp 250 Error E01 - 126 -Not the Thermistor...

Just one data point, but my Mastertemp - 2 years old at the time - was behaving badly with E01 showing now and then. Replaced the sensor. No improvement.

Last gasp: I removed each connector I could find, sprayed it down with CRC contact cleaner, blew out with compressed air. Reassembled, and everything worked. Corrosion, I suppose.

Just one data point, but my Mastertemp - 2 years old at the time - was behaving badly with E01 showing now and then. Replaced the sensor. No improvement.

Last gasp: I removed each connector I could find, sprayed it down with CRC contact cleaner, blew out with compressed air. Reassembled, and everything worked. Corrosion, I suppose.
Can you measure the DC voltage across the temperature sensor to see if it matches the chart?

OK -I am an idiot... :oops:
After re-building the heat exchanger and putting the parts back together, the wiring harness draped over the manifold and then I plugged everything back in.

It's not until this morning, I decided to clean up all the connectors and re-trace the wiring that I discovered something:
-The high limit (orange) and thermistor (brown) wires are zip-tied together
-The pressure switch (purple) & gas shut-off (red) wires are zip-tied together
-Both of these sets of wires are pretty much identical in length.

Unfortunately, the wiring harness bundles were flipped after I re-insalled everything and so I had inadvertently plugged the purple pressure switch wires into the thermistor, the thermistor wires into the pressure switch, etc...

I am an idiot... I looked at the board, I could see that the 2 brown thermistor wires plug into their own 2 pins on the control board, but somehow, looking at the thermistor in the manifold, I didn't make the connection that I had purple wires going into the thermistor.

So -of course - the OHM readings for all the sensors were wrong and my resistor test (sub for the thermistor) was putting 10K ohms onto the pressure switch pins on the board.. That won't work...

So - once I figured that out, 3 power cycles of the heater -finally cleared the E01 error and with the heat exchanger rebuild quickly got my water from 77 to 86 deg in a few hours. Yeah! We are back in business.

Thanks to all of you awesome folks on the forum for the quick responses and great advice... In the end, I was looking too hard for the problem when it was staring me right in the face... DOH!

Attachments

• Correct Wiring.jpg
    Correct Wiring.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Wow
Reactions: JamesW
Thanks for the update.

We should have asked you to show us a pic of the header wiring.

Glad you found it.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.