Solved!! High CYA, Chlorine Smell on Skin, Stinging Eyes

Thanks Psycho1122 for the CSI recommendation ;-), and thanks mguzzy for the salt/chlorine pool comment, very good point!
I'm just getting ready to post my personal "cheat sheet" for TFP acronyms/initialisms in the hope that others who are new to this site and the Forums can quickly 'get with the program' when reading all the excellent posts, my attempt to help others not be too intimidated (as I was) by all the initials and terms used in what they read.
As for starting to figure out in a relatively short time what's what for my pool's needs going on the advice given on this site, chalk that up to the amazing information available here based on knowledge and experience of others, plus I *do* read a lot and love to experiment. I was one of those kids always asking "Why?" and who wouldn't accept "Because I said so" or "Just follow my directions", bless my poor parents' hearts. Long before the Internet came into being, my parents invested in a dictionary and encyclopedia (they were very expensive in their days, hence I say "investment") and when I'd ask a question they'd point to the bookshelf, and often later ask me to explain to them what I found so they'd know for the future <G>.
The collection of great info on this site offers lots of good science - down to earth for the average human, not rocket science - put into practice. :cool:

Last edited:
Awww, kimkats, you're definitely a cool kitty ;) thanks for the kudos. I posted my 'cheat sheet' in the Just Getting Started forum section as If you want to really CYA it helps to learn the terms used in TFP posts ;-) and added to that your thread reference from above. Anyone with the knowledge to do so is welcome to "jump in" (an appropriate phrase as applies to my delving into pool madness - er, maintenance - hence my frog avatar, heh heh) and let me know if there are any changes/adds/deletes to my list. I wish I'd had something like that list for translating cellphone slang early on - nowadays there are so many acronyms and abbreviations being used on cellphones I can't keep up and I feel the need to hire a teenager to be a dedicated language translator just so I can read and send a text!

Gone Fishing, You got further along in a shorter time than most folks. You must be wired to assimilate detail.

I have only now got to the point that I can look at my pool and gage it's health. Also I can now resist micromanaging my pool. What I mean by that is not chasing the numbers too much and while watching the water level, I won't add water when I know rain is forecast [unless it is so low that there is danger of starving the skimmer].

Gone Fishing, You got further along in a shorter time than most folks. You must be wired to assimilate detail.

I have only now got to the point that I can look at my pool and gage it's health. Also I can now resist micromanaging my pool. What I mean by that is not chasing the numbers too much and while watching the water level, I won't add water when I know rain is forecast [unless it is so low that there is danger of starving the skimmer].
Well done Adam! Resisting the micromanaging is hard.. its just so darn fun to run the tests and channel your inner mad-scientist..

Last edited:
I'm amending one point in my missive above, though I followed TFP guidelines for adding muriatic acid (MA) Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool, I could still see a "cloud" skim across the top of the pool water even with dipping the MA bottle into the pool before pouring. As someone with a healthy respect for chemical additives and reactions when it comes to using them around environments that include people/pets (who I made sure were out of the pool area anyway), I bought some dry acid which for me now has been less stressful to work with and seems to do the trick for lowering pH (and not having to store a bottle of MA sealed in a plastic bag). I'm assuming the liquids mix more quickly with the water than the dry materials, so pre-dissolving the dry acid in a bucket of water (as suggested in Pool School) maybe helps out with quicker distribution in the water? I wait a couple of hours after adding a chemical(s) before swimming regardless. I guess it's "whatever floats your boat" when choosing one acid-adding method (liquid/dry) over the other - though I've read that MA reaches its potential in the pool in 3 to 4 hours, whereas sodium bisulfate (dry acid) takes at least 24 hours to reach its potential.

Last edited:
I'm amending one point in my missive above, though I followed TFP guidelines for adding muriatic acid (MA) Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool, I could still see a "cloud" skim across the top of the pool water even with dipping the MA bottle into the pool before pouring. As someone with a healthy respect for chemical additives and reactions when it comes to using them around environments that include people/pets (who I made sure were out of the pool area anyway), I bought some dry acid which for me now has been less stressful to work with and seems to do the trick for lowering pH (and not having to store a bottle of MA sealed in a plastic bag). I'm assuming the liquids mix more quickly with the water than the dry materials, so pre-dissolving the dry acid in a bucket of water (as suggested in Pool School) maybe helps out with quicker distribution in the water? I wait a couple of hours after adding a chemical(s) before swimming regardless. I guess it's "whatever floats your boat" when choosing one acid-adding method (liquid/dry) over the other - though I've read that MA reaches its potential in the pool in 3 to 4 hours, whereas sodium bisulfate (dry acid) takes at least 24 hours to reach its potential.
"whatever floats your boat" is a good way to look at many of these issues. As @mguzzy points out there are some downsides to dry acid, but most of them are for SWCG users or owners of plaster pools. As the sulfates build up they can damage concrete & plaster and even cause corrosion on metal parts. We really are not against their use. We are against uncontrolled use.

When it comes down to it we are here to teach. Pool owners can use tthe information as they see fit.

Reactions: Oly
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.