SOLVED! Any plumbing mcgivers out there? how screwed am i

AGP noob

Apr 8, 2021
dublin,ca
SOLVED with $20 heat gun from amazon. got it out like butter. Looks like female threads undamaged....i hope

Photo attached shows a solar pool heater inlet where the threaded PVC connection snapped off. Interior dimentions of solar portion i think ~1.5in. Interior dimension of the snapped off piece I'd guess 1 1/8 inch
What I've tried and failed....
1) building up a 1 inch PVC with duct tape so it can fit snuggly inside, then glueing it, letting it set x24 hours. (reason im building up with duct tape is the 1inch diameter is too little and 1.25inch too fat). Then trying to unscrew the broken piece out (failed)
2) sawing a portion of the broken piece out and prying it out w/ a flat head (failed as u can see in the picture)

I do realize i can just leave it and purchase $50 worth of connectors to simply go over exterior but id rather get t his broken threaded piece out.

TY

Attachments

• IMG_4182.jpg
    IMG_4182.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Reactions: Leebo
Use a spade bit. Tap the bit into the pipe, then unthread the fitting with a wrench/pliers using the bit as a big screwdriver.

oh interesting....thats definitely mcguiver worthy

thank u

update: went to home depot. Really couldnt find a spade the perfect size. It has to be within millimeters the correct size as to not damage the female threads on solar panel and still get enough "purhcase" in broken piece. maybe heat gun is the only option

Last edited:
Try a handheld hacksaw blade to cut through most of the way through the inner pipe in three or four places, and then use a flat head Screwdriver to pry the sections up towards the center of the pipe to break them loose.

Reactions: markayash
Try a handheld hacksaw blade to cut through most of the way through the inner pipe in three or four places, and then use a flat head Screwdriver to pry the sections up towards the center of the pipe to break them loose.
yea tried that. see original photo with a piece removed that way. It was cold and brittle and it split in a way where the male/female threads are still stuck to each other

yea tried that. see original photo with a piece removed that way. It was cold and brittle and it split in a way where the male/female threads are still stuck to each other
Assuming they didn’t glue the fitting in with the threads you should be able to cut the threaded area a bit and pry the threads away from the pipe. I think the easy outs will just expand the pipe and increase the friction.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
You could clean the 'stuff' out of the broken off piece and get an internal coupling and glue it into the broken off piece and then turn the piece out. Yeah, you waste the coupling, but it should give you enough 'purchase' (as you put it) to remove the broken piece.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could clean the 'stuff' out of the broken off piece and get an internal coupling and glue it into the broken off piece and then turn the piece out. Yeah, you waste the coupling, but it should give you enough 'purchase' (as you put it) to remove the broken piece.

Yea i kinda tried that, went to home depot checked most all of the couplings in the plumbing and electrical sections and couldnt find anything that would fit snug. Hence the reason I built up the other PVC with duct tape and glue.....which failed

this would almost be easier if it werent a threaded piece
I have a heat gun in the mail

Yea i kinda tried that, went to home depot checked most all of the couplings in the plumbing and electrical sections and couldnt find anything that would fit snug. Hence the reason I built up the other PVC with duct tape and glue.....which failed
What is the actual inner diameter of the pipe you're trying to remove? I'm guessing 1 1/4"? You could try gluing in an "inside slip" fitting, designed to fit inside of PVC pipe. I've had good luck finding these in stock at Ace in my area.

tried that. see photo. u can see piece that broke off, leaving a sliver of male/female still connected
If your pipe is 1.5", this is a tool that will work (87E). 89E would be correct for 2"

What is the actual inner diameter of the pipe you're trying to remove? I'm guessing 1 1/4"? You could try gluing in an "inside slip" fitting, designed to fit inside of PVC pipe. I've had good luck finding these in stock at Ace in my area.

not 1 1/4. im guessing ~1 1/8ish. Its kinda an odd diameter where nothing in the aisles of home depot plumbing or electrical aisles would fit. maybe ACE is better

couldnt find a spade the perfect size
You should be able to fund a spade bit that will do the job. Might have to create two notches in the pipe (rotary tool) for bit to seat.

An extractor tool would also work, but it's more expensive and harder to find. If you're careful, you can probably use it once and return it. A plumber or irrigation contractor might have one you could borrow/rent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.