Solar sensor open question. HELP

Nevada Mike

May 18, 2023
Nevada
Hayward Gold Line Controls question

I have read through other threads before my first post here. I have a "solar sensor open" along wit the red check system light. If I scroll through with the arrow the sensors appear to be giving the right readings on the readout. Just now I took a new sensor and connected it to each location on the board and nothing changed other than the temps of the temporary sensor. The freeze protection did click on when I swapped out the air temp sensor. Nothing changed when I connected it to the water temperature sensor location. I do not have or know how to use a multimeter but I believe I essentially confirmed the sensors are good by the correct readings and temporarily swapping in the new sensor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated by this noob!

Attachments

• IMG_5371.jpeg
    IMG_5371.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 7
Hayward Gold Line Controls question

I have read through other threads before my first post here. I have a "solar sensor open" along wit the red check system light. If I scroll through with the arrow the sensors appear to be giving the right readings on the readout. Just now I took a new sensor and connected it to each location on the board and nothing changed other than the temps of the temporary sensor. The freeze protection did click on when I swapped out the air temp sensor. Nothing changed when I connected it to the water temperature sensor location. I do not have or know how to use a multimeter but I believe I essentially confirmed the sensors are good by the correct readings and temporarily swapping in the new sensor. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated by this noob!
Solar sensor open is usually a broken wire. If you installed the temporary one to the solar sensor connections, did the error go away? By default the system goes into freeze protection if the air sensor is missing. Put the solar sensor wire into the air sensor connection and see what happens.
By the looks of the wire in the solar sensor location, there is a splice somewhere, as sensors only have two wires attached. Could the wrong ones have been attached at the other end?

Thanks Poolman1
The system has been up and running well for a few years. The wires are spliced and I used quality marine crimps with heat shrink. My understanding is by using my extra new sensor I would be ruling out a problem with the installed sensors and their splices. The error code did not go away when I installed it in either of the two locations. I will try putting the solar sensor wire in the air position and see what happens. It is always possible my spare sensor is bas too.

I just heard from a board repair company and they said it was unlikely related to the air and water temperature sensors. Here is what they said.

"An Open solar sensor error is generated by the is solar system, not by the board and I think that it is not related to the air temp or water temp sensors, that is different error."

I just heard from a board repair company and they said it was unlikely related to the air and water temperature sensors. Here is what they said.

"An Open solar sensor error is generated by the is solar system, not by the board and I think that it is not related to the air temp or water temp sensors, that is different error."
Board repair company apparently is not familiar with a board that has all features integrated into one. If putting a known good sensor from the other positions does not clear the error the only thing left is the board. If you can get a 10K resistor and attach it to the solar connection you should clear the error if the board is good.

Board repair company apparently is not familiar with a board that has all features integrated into one. If putting a known good sensor from the other positions does not clear the error the only thing left is the board. If you can get a 10K resistor and attach it to the solar connection you should clear the error if the board is good.
Sorry for the lame questions. Connecting my new unused sensor is effectively a 10K resistor correct? Would the code clear immediately? Before order a $800 board I just want to make sure I have covered my bases. Thanks so much for taking time here!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.