Solar panel

Jun 22, 2013
I installed this panel last week. My question is, should I allow the water to flow through at full speed, or use the valve to slow the flow down, so it passes through the panel slower. How much temp should I expect to gain as it passes through? I do have a separate pump and plumbing for the panel, so it is not my filter pump.
39ca0f33efd657a60601f319dcab3a9c.jpg

With solar, faster rate yields more efficiency up to a point. You don't need more than about 0.1 GPM/sq-ft to have decent efficiency. If that is a 2x20 panel, that means you don't more than about 4 GPM through the panel. However, I would not throttle pump but use a bypass around the panels.

But the setup puzzles me. Is that a second pump I see in the picture? Where is the filter and filter pump?

The main filter and pump is a 200lb Hayward filter with a single speed 1 1/2hp Hayward pump. I got it off Amazon in the fall a couple years ago for $135. On clearance. I had a left over pump from a game filter pump combo that I decided to use for the solar panel.

When I added the Hayward pump/filter I also added a through wall skimmer. So I used the old filter output valve to get water to the pump/panel and plumbed a different return line over the side of the pool. If I can get it to work I will do a better permanent install next year, possibly on the roof of the house.

You don't need a second pump for solar. In fact, you can over pressurize the panels that way and it is just a waste of energy. Just use a 3-way valve after the filter to redirect part of the water to the panels and the rest directly back to the pool.

I normally only run the main pump 2-3 hours per day. I run it morning and evening. Didn't want to consantly be out there moving valves so I tried to set it up as a separate system.

To clarify, this was a last ditch effort to get some more use of the pool before season ends. If it works to increase the temp, I will do a permanent Installstion next spring and can set it up different then.

I normally only run the main pump 2-3 hours per day. I run it morning and evening. Didn't want to consantly be out there moving valves so I tried to set it up as a separate system.

But why not just run the main pump and filter while using solar? No need to run any other time. Or do you live in an area that does not get sun very often?

A 3-way valve with an actuator is another option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dang it.... The end with the separator has the label on it. I got it on the wrong end...smh. Gonna have to flip the panel. No wonder I am only getting 1 degree increase temp output.
3b0a7db603484a20ddd410b5cd193edc.jpg

Its an 18' pool. The panel is 2'X 20'. I actually have 2 of them. If I can prove that it will help keep the pool warmer and we can get more use, I may Install it all completely different. But panel location then becomes a problem.

This fence runs directly east/west and the panel is at 45 degrees, so the panel is facing south. It gets a solid 8+ hours of sunlight before the neighbors tree gets in the way early evening.
13a848e74dc562c334dc98f0b07b4c65.jpg
f73814d9c485c7a88e106d23e210d90e.jpg
f75cdad245ca618bf38e585828401bb3.jpg

If I move it to the roof and use 2 panels, the peak on the back of the house runs north/south. So then which side to pick, and how much time would I loose of sun light due to trees.

That is why I decided to throw it together on the fence and test it first.
aa23b1a9871efcba820ec01f46692fac.jpg

If choosing between east and west and field of view is the same, always choose west. There is less heat loss in the afternoon because air temperatures are usually higher.

I was thinking west also, those trees to the east will block a lot of sun in the mornings.

I looked at the 3 way didverter valves. I see what you mean now, that you can divert part of the water not all of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.