Solar heating system purging air bubbles through active SWCG.

hwy17

Mar 17, 2021
Northern California
Ok this is bordering on an unnecessary question that I should just figure out but anyway it's on my mind so why not share it.

I have an Aquatrol HP designed for mid plumbing install with an included flow switch.

I could buy the RJ adapter to have the SWCG on my return jet which has the advantage of not requiring a flow switch. But I don't love the idea of hanging more weight off my return jet.

All my horizontal plumbing is AGP flex stuff, and installing it mid run there would leave it lying on the ground unless I built a stand for it or something.

This brings me to look at the hard plumbing I have for my rooftop solar which has basically two vertical 1.5" PVC lines one going up to the solar and one coming down from return. I know they could hold the weight and place the cell up off the ground.

However, I know it is advised not to put the flow switch going down so that it is gravity failsafe.

An alternative would be to place the flow switch on the upward line to the solar, and the cell on the downward return.

This would raise two concerns. One is that the upward flow switch would activate while the downward line is still receiving purge air during startup. What would an active cell do with purge air water mixture? I assume that air would increase resistance, amps would drop out completely, and so basically no problem.

The second concern though, is what if like a union in the rooftop system busts open or something causing a massive leak or open line. The upward flow switch could then stay closed while the downward return line is receiving no water. The SWCG probably being below the water line would then be sitting active in stagnant water which is of course bad.

There are simple answers to this question, like get over it and put it on the return jet, or build the horizontal mount. But just sharing the thought process for your entertainment.

Is your solar on automation where ot opens and closes as it senses the need? If so I would not put the salt cell on line with that.
Is there a section on the return side that you could replace the flex with rigid schedule 40 pvc, maybe from the solar output to where the returns enter the ground

like get over it and put it on the return jet, or build the horizontal mount
You are WAY overthinking building a support. Take a T and cut the top part of the T. Add an appropriate height of pipe and you got yourself a brace.

20230421_164433.jpg

20230421_164446.jpg

Reactions: proavia
That's a good idea but I mean a horizontal support for the SWG. I don't feel like hard plumbing my flex lines which are rubber kind and lay on the ground.

@Ahultin no automation solar stays manually on and I only run pump 10-4. So purge air only happens when it turns on at 10. I have a section that is rigid but it's vertical.

I realize pictures would help and are popular but I'm still unsure about sharing my janky masterpiece with the world.

Main question is just when people have SWG after solar as I understand is recommended, do they worry about the purge air through the cell at all.

Other than the air velocity disrupting / damaging the flow switch, there should be no effect.

Reactions: hwy17
Yeah that's what I mean, corrugated hose.
There are two types of clamped hoses. The ones that popped off already, and the ones that wait for you to pull out of your driveway on your way to work a double before they pop off. The pool will only drain to the skimmer but you could lose the pump.

I would use this as your excuse to hard plumb it all, or at least that leg.

Reactions: hwy17

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.