solar heating question - concern about winterizing

May 11, 2016
Troy IL
Hi all. I'd really love to add a heater to our pool, and solar keeps seeming like my favorite option due to no fuel costs and plumbing I can do entirely myself. The only thing holding me back is my fear of having to climb up on the roof every spring to fix leaks in my panels. I live in the St Louis MO area, and we get cold winters, though usually not extreme, and often quite mild. But each year I would want to winterize it, and each time it would most certainly see freezing temps, it is just a matter of for how long.

So, what I want to know, is my fear unfounded? Are leaks after winter not really that common? Should this issue be keeping me from heating my pool?

I've had a couple of hose clamps work lose in about 8 years. No maintenance nightmare at all. I'm in a similar climate to you.

The key is getting the panels drained prior to winter.

I added a low point spigot valve as a drain that I open and leave open all winter to allow the panels to fully drain (admittedly likely overkill given my climate, but I have yet to have any leak :D)

Ditto, my only issue has been a couple of hose clamps that loosened over winter. So,are panels have be installed a out 5 years. My pool stays open all winter but solar is shut off. We got down to 11°F last winter. Luckily it was only once! No issues. Heat that pool!

Thanks all. I think the hose clamp issue is the one I've read most about. I was just worried I'd have to add climbing up onto the roof annually to my list of chores. But frankly, that probably wouldn't be a bad thing. It's only one story, not too steep a pitch and it wouldn't hurt to see it every so often to inspect for damage rather than trusting one of those people that knock on your door every time a hail storm comes through.

So I guess you all have subdued my fears, and I really do want some more warmth in our pool. Now to shop around. I hear of solar direct pretty often. Are there any other places I should look? It looks like 4 solar panels would cost me a little over $1k at solar direct. Considering I just spent $600 on a robot I may have to wait until next year on this project. But it never starts to hurt looking.

I had to tighten up the clamps the first two springs. Nothing since then. Maybe if you tighten them enough when you install them you can stay off the roof. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.