Solar Heater Valve/Bypass

May 24, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'll try to give all the information I can. Thanks for being patient.
Last year we installed the Heliocol solar water heater on the roof and they installed a Jandy 3-way valve.
I just opened and want to make sure I have the valve positioned properly. (see attached)
I checked and the return lines are not putting out any water (I know it will be cold), but nothing is coming out - should I have the Solar Bypass closed?
Any suggestions or comments are welcomed - and thank you very much! Stay safe everyone
Jandy Valve.jpg

Attachments

• System.jpg
    System.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 22
So the way the valve is set you are sending about 1/3 of the water through the Solar Bypass and 2/3 through the Solar heat panels.

Why not put the CLOSED label along the Solar Bypass pipe and send all the water up through the panels?

Salty,

We need to see a couple of pics of the whole equipment pad, as the close up does not tell us all we need to know.

If you have nothing coming out of your returns, something is wrong.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
Thank you for taking the time. I have attached a couple pictures for your review. The valve is set in the middle right now, because I honestly don't know the correct position so it can get the water up to be heated and then in the pool.
The only return working is at the skimmer, the other 2 have nothing coming out.
I hope the pictures will help, and appreciate the assistance.
Have a great day and be safe!

Attachments

• Setup.jpg
    Setup.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 17
  • System.jpg
    System.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Right up left down.jpg
    Right up left down.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 16
  • System2.jpg
    System2.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 16
The only return working is at the skimmer, the other 2 have nothing coming out.

In pool terminology skimmers are the opposite of returns.

Skimmers are suction and take water into the equipment. Water flows through the pump, filter, and other equipment and comes out of “returns” back into the pool.

Water goes into skimmers and out returns. Given that what other 2 have nothing coming out?

If water is going into a skimmer it must be flowing out a return.

Post pics of your pool so we can see your skimmers and returns.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The valve I've circled in the picture needs to be turned towards the the pipe going to the ground I think.View attachment 132556

I would assume the pipe going into the ground is the returns on the walls that is currently open and the Infloor Cleaning System (IFCS) is off. You are suggesting turning on the IFCS and off the wall returns?

The guys who did your solar did you no favors. You need solar controller and an automated valve. Defeats the purpose of solar to do this by hand. I also see another pump in corner of pic. Can you take a few pics of the pad so I can see all the piping and valves. I dont need to see the IFC system take pics from different sides. Yiu should have flow to all fittings and suction points except the in floor stuff

Reactions: setsailsoon
Your pictures look like you have an A&A In floor cleaning system with a "quick skim" skimmer which uses RETURN water to create a venturi in the skimmer to increase its action. Right now, according to the last picture (System2.jpg) you posted showing the whole system, it looks like water is not going to the in-floor cleaning valve. The closed side of the 3-way valve is closing off flow to the in-floor cleaning valve. You need to move the 3 way valve so that water can go into the in-floor cleaning valve (round lid box) AND some water can go to the skimmer venturi. (I believe this is what you were calling the "return" by the skimmer). From the looks of your picture, that valve would need to turn clockwise about 1/4 turn. You should be able to see the gearset spinning inside that round box. If its spinning, water is flowing, zone by zone, to pool returns and cleaning heads. In my pool, there are 2 return eyeballs on the wall, but they are setup as part of 2 different zones with the cleaning system -- so they aren't always on.

After you're getting flow to the cleaning valve (and likely your returns and cleaning heads in the bottom of the pool), then go and close off the solar bypass forcing ALL water to go to your solar panels. At first, you should get lots of bubbles as the system purges. If you don't, and your pump strains and system pressure increases, you probably have another set of valves for the lines to and from your solar panels. (My system has these, and they aren't near the pool pad, they are near where the solar lines come out of the ground and go up the wall of the house to the roof).

Hope this helps!

Reactions: newsaltowner
As Jimmy mentioned above you really need an automatic controller on the bypass valve. You can buy a kit like the one below that includes everything needed for about $300 or get it installed for about $400-$500 total installed cost. This will open the bypass when there's not enough heat in the panel outlet to add heat to the pool. Helps a lot for cloudy days, rainy days or time of day when sun is too low. At these times your solar will often cool the pool which defeats the benefit.

I hope this helps.

Chris

1586953808388.png

Reactions: jimmythegreek
Your pictures look like you have an A&A In floor cleaning system with a "quick skim" skimmer which uses RETURN water to create a venturi in the skimmer to increase its action. Right now, according to the last picture (System2.jpg) you posted showing the whole system, it looks like water is not going to the in-floor cleaning valve. The closed side of the 3-way valve is closing off flow to the in-floor cleaning valve. You need to move the 3 way valve so that water can go into the in-floor cleaning valve (round lid box) AND some water can go to the skimmer venturi. (I believe this is what you were calling the "return" by the skimmer). From the looks of your picture, that valve would need to turn clockwise about 1/4 turn. You should be able to see the gearset spinning inside that round box. If its spinning, water is flowing, zone by zone, to pool returns and cleaning heads. In my pool, there are 2 return eyeballs on the wall, but they are setup as part of 2 different zones with the cleaning system -- so they aren't always on.

After you're getting flow to the cleaning valve (and likely your returns and cleaning heads in the bottom of the pool), then go and close off the solar bypass forcing ALL water to go to your solar panels. At first, you should get lots of bubbles as the system purges. If you don't, and your pump strains and system pressure increases, you probably have another set of valves for the lines to and from your solar panels. (My system has these, and they aren't near the pool pad, they are near where the solar lines come out of the ground and go up the wall of the house to the roof).

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Return.jpg
    Return.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 5
  • Return2.jpg
    Return2.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 7
  • AA Cleaner.jpg
    AA Cleaner.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 9
Thank you both very much! I've repositioned the AA Cleaner (I don't use because just purchased Dolphin Robotic Cleaner) and also closed off the bypass, when do you think I should have some kind of water coming out the returns? Please see above pictures - thank you! :)

Thank you both very much! I've repositioned the AA Cleaner (I don't use because just purchased Dolphin Robotic Cleaner) and also closed off the bypass, when do you think I should have some kind of water coming out the returns? Please see above pictures - thank you! :)

With my pool, the 2 wall returns are plumbed as part of the zones of the a&a valve. So, if no water is going to the a&a, no water will ever come out the returns.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.