Jpool32

Jul 8, 2022
California
Hi All,

My solar heat system was working all fine until recently where it stopped kicking in. Few details:
  1. The pump is scheduled to run 9 am to 6 pm every single day and is running fine. It shows the actual speed (Speed 1) instead of showing "Display Not Active" as was usually the case when things were working.
  2. The water temp is 75 and solar temp is 106 so it is not an issue with the sensors or solar temps.
  3. The pentair panel shows that "Solar Heat Off" but system status is green.
  4. As I started to debug the issue, I disconnected the link between the pump and solar heat and sometimes it works to switch the pump to "Display Not Active" for a while then goes back. Other times it starts showing "Com Lost" on the solar thing then goes back to green but still Solar Heat Off.
I am guessing this is an issue in the connection between the pump and solar heating but the system status is green and nothing changed at all in the past two days to stop it. How do I debug this and what solutions do you recommend before calling someone to come in and check?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

Without seeing the innards of your automation, what comes to mind is that you maybe have some loose connections. I would turn off all power to everything and check every wire connection; loosen and re-tighten to your satisfaction. Only restore power when you're sure everything is connected correctly and tightly. I have personally found that sometimes a partial turn of a connector screw can get things going again. It's those flaky electrons.

If that doesn't help, come back with more info on your automation and show us some photos of the inside where the wires are.

Thank you! I ended up simply turning off power to all different things (Pentair solar panel, pump, etc) and turning it on again after connecting and reconnecting the wires. It now works (For now). I am not clear on what exactly wasn't working but not touching it for now as long as it is working. Thanks for the response.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.