Solar covers, what thickness mil is recommended

rj2222

Jun 11, 2012
Michigan
Most I'm seeing are 6, 8, 12, or 16 mil. I know the higher the mil the better it warms/keeps heat in generally speaking, but what's the best bang for your buck? Some of these are fairly expensive, not sure if it is worth splurging or if the gains are negligible so you're better off in the middle range somewhere.

There is no gains on any of them. Seran wrap would stop as much evaporation as the covers do, but it is too flimsy to use. The thinnest ones rip the easiest, the heavy ones weigh a ton. IMHO the middle porridge is juuuuuuuust right.

Reactions: rj2222
About to purchase my third cover. Clear or blue, each one lasted about 2 years before bubbles started bursting or floating away. They were on during winter also, but sun is a powerful friend/enemy. Raised temps by about 3-5 degrees. I intend to get another but will get a winter cover to reduce the organic material dropping into the pool. Solar will be set aside and covered. San Francisco East Bay with temps going up into 90-100 for several summer weeks. Winter lowest is mid 40's.

It is the chemical that kills the solar cover, not sunlight.

I have a leftover scrap piece of solar cover lay on the ground when I installed my solar cover. It is exposed to the same sun everyday as the pool. After 2 years the solar cover in the water rips and bubbles break but the scrap piece still looks intact.

I'll buy either 8 or 12 mil. My solar covers last about 3 to 4 years. When I stop using it in the summer, we carry the cover on the roller back under my trees so it's not in the sun all day. During the winter, I also place it back under the trees and use a Loop-Loc cover on my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.